21) Not Fair

Evelynn stared at him.

Her wound was hurting again, her round eyes softening.

"That's not fair."

She didn't realise she said the words until she heard them herself. She didn't intend for the sad, meek tone of her voice to escape as it did.

Evelynn felt too weak, too full of pain. She fought the feeling, clinging onto her anger, her anger that she was relying on to survive.

Tedros stepped forward, his eyes illuminated in the light, glassy and blue. So blue.

Evelynn could drown in those eyes.

No.

She stepped back, shaking her head and pressing her free hand to her side. "They're coming." She glanced between the others, her gaze lingering on Sophie. "I'm not helping you this time, you're doomed. Have fun."

"Oh, but we don't want you to leave just yet, do we?"

Sader's voice behind her was chilling and calm, but sweet like honey, her hand reached forward to grasp Evelynn's shoulder in her long, dainty fingers.

Evelynn turned abruptly, glaring at her.

"I suspected you'd turn out like this," Sader smiled, "It was something about you, perhaps that brutal determination."

"You're not here for me." Evelynn stated, eyeing her up and down. "You're here for them. Just leave me out of it."

The Dean raised her eyebrows. "Not so eager to protect them anymore then? I can't say I'm not surprised."

Evelynn didn't waste time with a response, attempting to walk away. But Sader's hand shot out and clasped her arm tightly, preventing her from going any further. Evelynn's eyes lit up with anger, her jaw clenching as she turned to make eye contact.

"You cannot leave." The Dean demanded, her expression now ice cold, threatening.

Evelynn ripped her arm from the tight grasp, almost baring her teeth. "Yes. I can."

She shapeshifted and soared into the air, watching the destruction behind her as those gathered in the small clearing watched her leave.

The sky was dark and cloudy, the moon disguised and the stars non-existent. Evelynn flew to the girls school, eyeing the students gathered with their weapons and shields. They were doomed to fail, as this could only end in destruction. It wasn't a worrying thought, for once, the School for Good and Evil needed a fresh start, and if that meant the demise of students, so be it.

Evelynn set her eyes on an open window, in one of the large, blue turrets. Her bedroom.

As she unlatched the window and clambered through, she glanced around. The room was illuminated by only the little light from outside, so the shadows were vast and dark, disguising the far corners.

Evelynn scanned the room to see if anything would evoke some hidden emotion, emotion that she needed to eradicate.

There were screwed up balls of paper scattered on the desk, crumpled bed sheets and blankets from where she'd slept only a few nights before, stacks of books from her and Agatha's research, her favourite shoes thrown carelessly beside her bed, a notebook full of all the animals she'd tried shapeshifting into...

Nothing.

They were all just objects to her now, simple things that had no real worth, no relevance.

She had already lost her attachment to sentimental things, which meant surely, soon she would lose her attachment to people completely. Soon, she'd be empty of her old self, and her power would no longer be threatened by tiresome emotions.