20) Care

Evelynn made her way to Blue Brook bridge next, she knew that there would be at least two people hidden there, and she wouldn't be surprised if one of them was Sophie, the renowned Trial by Tale coward.

As she approached, her steps were purposeful and quiet, her intense eyes surveying the area. The water trickled down the stream, gentle and peaceful, the grass on the bank sloped down to meet it and the stone gray bridge left a shadow on the water. 

Suddenly Evelynn heard a voice, a voice she recognised.

Agatha.

She walked closer to the bridge, not afraid to be heard any longer. Agatha had her back to her, talking to three figures disguised in the mud under the bridge.

Hester saw her first, recognition bringing a smile to her face. "Lynn?"

Agatha turned so quickly she nearly fell, her eyes wide and alight. "Lynn?!" She smiled too. "It's so good to-"

The girl suddenly registered Evelynn's expression, her words trailing off into silence. She knew what had happened at just a glance.

"Shit. This is awful timing." 

"Oh no," Hester laughed, her eyes swimming with a dark delight. "The Witch has arrived."

Anadil shook her head and frowned, nudging Hester. "How is that a good thing? That's not what she wanted."

"You're wrong. I wanted it all along." Evelynn said, her words were just as controlled as her expression, stony and cold. "I just didn't know before. I didn't know how strong I could be."

"Exactly!" Hester smiled, "Villainy is the way to go."

"No you didn't." Agatha stated, making fierce eye contact that Evelynn didn't expect. "Snap out of it. Before you do something you regret."

Evelynn's face contorted, morbid amusement clouding her eyes. She cocked her head, her teeth white and bright as she smiled. "Oh really Agatha? Tell me, why should I listen to you?"

She lifted the sword in her hand, placing the blunt side of the blade in her free palm and tapping it against the skin gently.

Agatha glanced at the sword, then back at Evelynn's violet eyes. "Because- I care about you."

The witch released a laugh, strained and bewildered. "You do? Wow- I wouldn't have thought the girl that stole my first love, asked me to help her reacquire said love and then sent me to the boys' school on a death mission...cared about me at all."

Agatha grimaced. "You survived, didn't you? I knew you would be okay. And I know it's never been about you Lynn, you've had the worst of it. But, I tried-"

"-I don't care what you tried to do." Evelynn snapped, "You've failed. Numerous times. I don't fail. I'm stronger than you. Good or evil. You're weak, and foolish."

Her words seemed to suddenly strike awareness into her old friends, as if they finally realised how grave the situation was.

"Lynn." Hester crawled out of her hiding place, no longer looking amused. "Are you okay? This isn't like you."

Evelynn glared at her, her words spilling out in a rushed rage. "Shut up, Hester. This is what you wanted, isn't it? You told me that this was good. That being evil is 'cool'. It's not cool, it's necessary. And you're a pathetic excuse for a witch."

Hester was the first person to mirror Evelynn's anger, her red eyes narrowed, her demon tattoo threatening to break free and pulsing beneath her skin. "I'm a pathetic witch? I've been in this game much longer than you."