Chapter 3

Hope was in the sitting room trying to read. Mr. Joshua, her maths teacher, had told the class that he would be conducting tests at the end of every week. It was Thursday, so she was trying to prepare for the test which would happen tomorrow.

As she was studying, Unique came in and switched on the TV which disrupted her concentration.

"Unique, please can you switch off the TV? Once I am done reading, you can switch it on and watch." She asked politely.

Unique frowned, "But my show is starting now. I don't want to miss it. Go inside and read."

"Unique, the weather is hot. If I read in my room, I will fall asleep. That is why I came here. Can you not forsake this show? They will repeat it later by eight o'clock."

Their mother, having heard their conversation from the kitchen, came out and interjected, "Hope, why are you always arguing with your elder sister? Leave her, let her watch her show."

Hope stared at her mother in disbelief, "But mommy-"

Her mother did not allow her to finish her sentence, "Come and help me give Mama Osasu the gift I bought for her in Abuja." She beckoned to Hope, "Before you come back, your sister's show will have concluded and you can continue your reading."

Hope started to grumble but her mother shut her up, "You better go fast so that you can come back and read your book so that you will not fail like last term."

Hope gazed at her mother, jaw dropped, "Aha! Mummy this is not fair. I came out second place. How did I fail?

Her mother eyed her up and down, "Damilare that came out first, does he have two heads? Throughout the days that your sister went to school," She said, pointing at Unique, "She always came out first! She did not disgrace me by losing to Adenike but you are a different case."

Adenike was Mama Ola's daughter who had been in the same class as Unique. They graduated two years ago and should have been in the University by now if not for the incessant strikes in Nigerian universities. Unique had refused to go to a private University for reasons best known to her and her parents complied. Instead of being in school, she was here making her younger sister's life miserable.

Tears gathered in Hope's eyes. She quickly wiped them off trying to control herself.

"Mummy cut her some slack, not everybody's brain is the same." Unique said when she noticed the change in her sister's mood.

"I can hear you people bullying my daughter from my room," Papa Unique said as he came to sit on the couch. Her father was a bald dark man with a bulging tummy. He was fairly good-looking and tall. "Both my daughters are excellent." He said, patting Hope's back gently.

Mama Unique ignored him. She went inside her room and came back with a package. She handed it to the sulking Hope, "Oya, go and give this to Mama Osasu."

"But mummy can't I do this after reading? Or better still send Unique, she is not busy." Hope spoke out. She really had to read.

"If I slap you. Will you get out of here?" Mama Unique exclaimed.

Hope quickly stood up in fear. Papa Unique stared at his wife in disapproval before reaching into his pockets. He brought out five thousand naira notes and handed them to Hope, "Don't worry, use this one to buy a cold drink for yourself."

Mama Unique's eyes widened in shock, "Papa Unique, you are spoiling this child." She exclaimed.

Hope took the package and left the house angrily, saying, "Mummy, one day I will leave this house and you will not see me."

Her mother yelled behind her, "Leave na! I will not look for you. See her, disobedient child."

Hope angrily slammed the gate behind her as she left the compound, startling Damilare who was taking out the trash across the street. Hope did not spare him a glance as she walked past him in the direction of Mama Osasu's house.

Damilare quickly dumped the trash and ran after her because there was something he needed to ask.

"Hope!" He yelled.

She continued walking, pretending not to hear him. She was still feeling sour about what her mother said.

"Hope, please wait," Damilare yelled again, getting closer to her.

I should walk faster. Maybe he will leave. Hope thought and increased her pace.

Damilare reached out and held her shoulder. He spun her around to face him, "I am talking to you." He said, slightly annoyed.

She tried to muster a smile as she greeted him, "Oh Damilare, good evening. I did not hear you." She lied.

He looked at her, unconvinced, "Are you alright?" He asked, releasing her shoulders.

"Why wouldn't I be?" Hope asked.

Damilare scratched his head, "Well, it's just the way you slammed your gate–" He paused halfway when he saw Hope staring at him impatiently. "Never mind that. Where are you going?"

Hope stared at him skeptically. They were not that close and he normally does not approach her so she wondered what changed.

"Why are you asking? Please, just say whatever it is you want to say. I have a test to prepare for." She told him.

Damilare cleared his throat embarrassed, "Well, you were not in church last Sunday. I wanted to inform you about the monthly youth program in two weeks. We need as much assistance as we can get."

"But I'm not yet a youth, I'm still a teenager. How does their program concern me? Or you?" Hope asked, crossing her arms.

"But still, as teenagers, we need to assist them." Damilare insisted.

Hope looked at him confused, "I still don't know what you want me to do. If it's money then no problem. Take it," She said stretching the five thousand naira notes her father gave her.

Damilare shook his head, "We don't need money. We just need people to participate in it. You can join the choir or–"

"I am not interested." Hope deadpanned. She turned around and started walking to deliver the package.

Damilare ran in front of her, blocking her path. Annoyed at her behavior, he said, "You did not even hear me out. It is bad to reject the work of God. It is written in the book of–"

"Are you placing a curse on me? I said I'm not interested, so why are you quoting scriptures for me? God knows that I am very busy." Hope said before brushing past him.

Damilare stared at her back as she left. Honestly, If not that the youth president begged him, he would not have approached her because he knew she would reject him.

As the teenage president, he found it annoying that people his age were refusing to serve God. What was more important than God? Why does he have to beg his mates to participate in services? He went back home in a bad mood.