Chapter 11

Hope carefully approached Damilare and his group of friends. In her hand was Damilare's blazer which she had borrowed the other day. She had spent hours scrubbing this piece of clothing making sure there was no trace of blood on it. Now it looked brand new.

Hope cleared her throat to get their attention when she got close to them. They turned around and she was greeted with Damilare's blank stare. Hope quickly handed his blazer over to him, "Thank you for what you did the other day. I made sure your blazer is very clean." She said.

Damilare nodded before averting his gaze from her. Hope was about to walk away when Gladys asked, "Hope, we are having a program today at my church. Do you want to come?"

Hope gave her a friendly smile before declining her politely, "I can't make it today. I have a lot to do at home."

Damilare let out a dry laugh, "Are you really busy? Or you just don't want to hang out with boorish people like us?" He asked, mockingly.

Gladys smacked his hands to reprimand him, "What is wrong with you? I thought she was your friend." She whispered to Damilare but Hope heard her.

"It is alright. I have to go now. I will see you guys tomorrow." Hope said before walking away from them. Damilare was obviously still mad at her.

When Hope got home, she tiptoed into the house. She did not know whether Mr. Edosa and Efe were around. She did not want the incident of yesterday to repeat itself.

"Why are you walking like a thief in your own house?" Papa Unique asked when he saw his daughter tiptoeing inside the house.

Hope was frightened by his voice. Papa Unique was sitting in an inconspicuous corner in the sitting room. "Daddy, good afternoon. Don't you have a meeting today?" She asked after recovering from her shock.

Papa Unique took a big gulp from the drink in his hands, averting his gaze to the news on the TV, "No, I do not. Mr. Edosa was very busy but his son will be coming over later to pick up some paperwork from me."

A chill went down Hope's. She subconsciously touched her wrist which Efe had grabbed forcely yesterday. He had left a light bruise on her fair skin. "Okay. I will be inside." She said and quickly scurried to her room.

Hope locked herself in till seven o'clock in the evening when she could not bear the hunger anymore. As she stepped out of her room, she was greeted with her mother's angry face. "I was about to come and break down that door of yours. Is this the new method you want to use to avoid doing chores? I have seen through your plans today." Mama Unique said, pulling Hope's ear to the sitting room.

"Mama Unique, leave this child alone. She is preparing for her exams." Papa Unique said, coming to Hope's rescue. He freed Hope from her mother's clutches.

"So, because she is writing exams, she cannot do chores at home?" Mama Unique asked, sarcastically.

"Let her be." Papa Unique said sternly.

Mama Unique hissed loudly before going to take a seat on the couch, "You better stay where I can see you." Mama Unique threatened Hope.

Hope nodded slowly before going to the kitchen to take some food to eat. While she was eating, Papa Unique received a phone call and went inside. He came back with some document, "Mama Unique, where is Unique? She has to deliver these documents to Efe outside."

"Unique is asleep. Let Hope do it." Mama Unique said.

Hope froze in her seat. She turned to her mother with pleading eyes. She did not want to do it.

"Are you sure Unique is asleep? Just go and check." Papa Unique insisted.

"She is asleep, I am sure of it. Give it to Hope. We cannot keep the young man waiting." Mama Unique told him before turning to Hope, "Hope, use this opportunity to apologize to him for making him upset yesterday."