03 | schrödinger's cat

03; SCHRÖDINGER'S CAT
(season nine, episode six)

A LONG TIME ago, after Brodie's face had been stitched up and the pain medication was wearing off, Freya had climbed up onto the cot and held her

A LONG TIME ago, after Brodie's face had been stitched up and the pain medication was wearing off, Freya had climbed up onto the cot and held her. They stayed like that for what felt like an eternity and then, Freya finally spoke, and she made Brodie a binding promise.

As long as there's still air in my lungs, nothing and no one will hurt you like this again.

So, Brodie understood exactly why all the security measures were in place. It was for her, and for Judith, RJ and Lori.

Freya stopped honouring her promise to Carl the day she closed Alexandria off to the world, but she honoured her promise to her kids instead, and if she regretted it- Brodie was none the wiser, because Freya didn't let her feelings show anymore. Not since Rick.

Brodie found herself wondering if emotions could be transferred, like if the reason Freya wasn't feeling so guilty anymore was because, unintentionally, she'd passed it onto Brodie. It would make a lot of sense, especially in regard to the strange connection that Brodie seemed to share with Carl Grimes.

She was at his grave now, actually, though her eyes were on the cross beside the pebbles that shaped his initial- Rick's empty grave. They never found his body. Brodie didn't like to think about that, because when she did, she imagined Rick as a Walker endlessly roaming the world in search of a family he'd never find.

Freya would disagree. She didn't believe that Walkers had any semblance of who they once were. They were just monsters in her eyes, and that was the belief she'd instilled in both Judith and Brodie. Judith, surprisingly, was the one who never questioned that fact but Brodie constantly did. Her brain just couldn't comprehend how somebody could go from a human being capable of love and humanity to a mindless carnivorous monster in the blink of an eye. It was absurd and it was cruel.

However, the world typically was and it was too set in stone to even attempt to change things.

"You missed the meetin'."

Brodie turned to find Freya strolling towards her, looking more irritable than usual. "I already know what's gonna happen."

Freya crouched down beside her. "And what's that?"

"You're gonna send them on their way or try to, and then they'll get mad and you'll probably have to kill one of them and then all of them."

"Those are some mighty big thoughts for eleven in the mornin', you been on the coffee again?"

Brodie rolled her eyes. "I just know."

"Michonne ate her alive." Freya lowered herself to the ground and tucked her legs underneath herself, reaching out to brush her hand over her brother's grave marker. "Even found an undeclared knife, which. . . kind of made me look like an idiot, but, well, it's done now."