14 | ruins

14; RUINS
(season nine, episode ten)

[TRIGGER WARNING
mentions of abuse & self harm]

LIFE BEFORE THE outbreak was a misty haze to Enzo

LIFE BEFORE THE outbreak was a misty haze to Enzo. The only face he could remember clearly was Mama's but with each passing day, it was becoming more and more blurry. He had memories of his Papa and his sisters but they were always faceless, only decipherable by their thick locks of jet-black hair. Sometimes it scared him to think about, what if when he went to heaven he couldn't find them because he didn't know what they looked like?

Though, that wasn't a worry he ought to have, he supposed. Not after the things he'd done with Jocelyn - for Jocelyn.

He'd told Daryl about his worry once. First, Daryl stated that there was no heaven or hell but then he added that if there was, Enzo couldn't go to hell because the things he'd did hadn't actually been him, he was just the puppet of a cruel, cruel woman.

"Hey, come sit with me," Rosita called him over from where she sat on the edge of her cot, patting the empty spot on the mattress beside her. "Come on, right here."

Enzo's steps were languid and reluctant, his excitement over her potentially moving to live with him and Daryl had been stomped out when he saw the worried gleam in her eyes.

When he sunk down beside her, Rosita reached out to smooth his hair over his shoulder. "Did you let Daryl take scissors to this?"

"It was Carol, actually." Enzo laughed weakly. "I probably shouldn't tell her you thought her hardiwork was Daryl's."

"Handiwork," Rosita corrected lightly, a faint smile tugging at her lips. "If you come home to Alexandria, I can tidy it up for you."

His head dropped slightly, gaze averting to the linoleum floor. "It's not my home, Ro."

"It could be." She placed a soft palm against his cheek, turning him to face her. "It should be. I don't want you out in those woods with these skins running around. It's not safe."

"Daryl will keep me safe."

"A roof would keep you safer."

Enzo knew it was true, and honestly - he wanted to go with her. He wanted to sleep in a comfortable bed with pillows and have Eugene across the hall to answer any questions that sprung to mind. He wanted sword lessons with Freya, Brodie and Judith because he sucked with his bow and had only said he liked it because he wanted to be like Daryl. He wanted to see Rosita every day forever.