19 | skedaddling

19; SKEDADDLING
(season nine, episode eleven)

WHEN LOOKING AT the world from above, it was easy to fall for the delusion that it was built upon pillars of strength

WHEN LOOKING AT the world from above, it was easy to fall for the delusion that it was built upon pillars of strength. Eternally stapled in place by brick and mortar. Indestructible.

Upon reaching the ground, however - its true components were conspicuous.

Glass.

The world was made of glass. All it took was one wrong step, one loss of footing. . .

CRACK.

The ground shattered into pernicious fragments that were glued back together by the blood of its casualties.

It happened in the blink of an eye and healed just as fast. But it was never quite the same.

It wasn't discernible to the human eye but to the heart. . . Oh, it was excruciating.

But it was life; A game of survival. An endless fight to ensure that you didn't slip through the cracks. . . fall off the face of the earth.

But Devin did.

She fell beneath the surface.

Doomed to wander endlessly for all of eternity with a heart full of memories that she lost the ability to put faces to.

And then she was plucked out. A fish with a hook lodged in its jaw. Ripped from the wasteland she knew and threw into a new ecosystem that wasn't built for her.

It was a second chance and it was a mistake.

The ground beneath Devin was still cracked and unfortunately; it was contagious.

Enzo was sitting in the dirt with his arms wrapped around his legs, head buried in his knees and a dog nudging him with a wet nose.

Henry was swiping his staff through the air with almost enough force to break his wrist.

Aria was tucked into Leo's side on one of the outdoor benches, hesitantly spooning some soup down her throat.

Freya was sitting outside the blacksmith station, sword laid out across her lap and metal fist, whetting the tip with a sharpening stone in rhythmic strokes of unparalleled fury.

A flood of guilt was rampant in Devin's stomach, threatening to submerge her lungs and drown her from the inside.

Her mere presence had done this - uprooted the previously peaceful life of so many. Even if she could stomach apologising, it wouldn't change anything. It was all set in stone now.