32 | grim reaper's penchant

32; GRIM REAPER'S PENCHANT
(season nine, episode sixteen)

32; GRIM REAPER'S PENCHANT(season nine, episode sixteen)

CHANGE WAS INEVITABLE.

The point of life was never death, but growth. Infancy to adulthood, crawling to running, babbling to making speeches - it made the world go round. The problem was, the world never stopped. It wasn't synchronised to any one heart, when a person died, prematurely or not; the globe just kept on spinning.

It infuriated Brodie, and yet she envied it too.

Dad's death was insignificant to the universe. It could carry on as if it had never happened - as if he had never existed - and Brodie had been propelled into a state of oblivion, getting through each day on autopilot. She'd spent every night of the past month awake in bed, staring at the dark ceiling with silent tears trickling down her face.

She couldn't stop thinking about him.

Was he scared? Did he know what was happening? Was he thinking of her? Of Mom and Lori and Aunt Trudi?

Where was he now?

Eugene told her a long time ago that there was no scientific proof of heaven existing, but after a stern frown from Rosita, he followed it up with a "But if the only way to glimpse the pearly gates is to indeed depart the land of the living then the possibility of such a place existing cannot be abolished. However slim."

It made Brodie feel a little better, back when she was eight, stupid and missing Rick.

Missing Freya's dad and not her own.

And to think she'd spent his last week worrying about Freya's survival, convinced that she'd lose a second mother when actually. . . The one she was destined to lose was right in front of her and she made his final days hellish.

She defied him. She let Negan out. She was rude and she'd never gotten to truly apologise.

He would've forgiven her, though. She knew that in her bones and somehow that made her feel worse. He was always giving to a world that did nothing but take from him.

It was five in the morning, pitch black and silent enough to hear a pin drop. Though, that pretty much summed up the Grimes house every day regardless of time now.

Lori had stopped giggling after the second day of Tariq not being there and she was the ringleader of the menacing duo, so naturally, RJ followed suit. Now their tiny feet padded quietly across the floor and they sniffled far more often than a cold would make them.

Brodie was in Freya's bed, flat on her back, arms crossed over her chest in an attempt to trick her body into thinking someone was with her - pulverise the loneliness before it sept into her vital organs.