12 | secret

12; SECRET
(season nine, episode nine)

12; SECRET(season nine, episode nine)

LEO KNEW HOW to mourn. Grief hadn't been a stranger to him since he was sixteen years old and Mika was killed in front of him, saving his life, whilst he'd been incapable of protecting her. He knew the grim reaper like the back of his hand, felt its presence like a prick on the back of his neck. Grieving he was, unfortunately, well accustomed to.

This. . . quite literally the opposite.

He had no idea what to do.

Daryl didn't either. His head was tilted and his brows were pinched but his feet stayed rooted to the ground and no words left his lips.

Trudi was evidently shocked, but she didn't have the same history with Devin as they did. She wasn't family to Devin, she was somebody that Devin had tried to take hostage before subsequently falling to her death - or not.

The initial shock hit Michonne but she shrugged it off fast. Indifference wove its way onto her face in the form of a tilted chin and compressed lips. Nothing could faze her.

She was the first of them to move. In one swift moment, the blade of her katana was pressed to the throat of Devin's companion and the mask taken from the girl was thrust into her face. "How many?"

The child mask's chest shook with the weight of the onslaught of sobs wracking her small frame, strangled breaths slipped out of her throat, a vein pulsed brutally in her neck and tears streamed down her face like a waterfall of everything sad in the world - she was truly terrified, this wasn't even slightly an act.

"Please. . ." Her voice was choked with an indescribable emotion. "You killed 'em all. It's just us now."

"Don't-" Michonne's hand tightened around the hilt of her katana, she pushed some weight into it, making the blade dig into the delicate skin of the girl's throat. "- believe you."

Leo's eyes swept down to Devin. He wanted to see her reaction to the way this situation was unfolding. If she cared about the kid. . . how she felt about seeing her old friends after all these years. But instead; his eyes landed on a woman deep in a state of total despondence.

Her hair was shorter now - shorter than it had ever been, the ends barely grazed her chin. Her eyes were sunken and worn, giving off the impression that she'd lived a thousand lives and the only thing to age were her eyes. The final thing he noticed, and perhaps the most prominent was an elongated jagged scar that started at her hairline and coiled all the way down to her right eyelid, leaving her with a distinctive slit in her dark eyebrow.