Chapter Two - Be a boy

Third Person

Domenico held his weapon steady at shoulder heights as he investigated the unusual noise. It was probably just something that had broken away from the dilapidated walls, nevertheless he despised it when something happened without his control. Some might have seen this as some sort of OCD ; he saw it as life insurance. His family wouldn't be where they were if they weren't careful because, contrary to popular belief, they could bleed and die like anyone else. The corridor in front of him was littered with rubble and weeds. What was once the pride of the city was now only a shadow of its former self. Domenico was even a little surprised why these ugly halls hadn't been torn down long ago and replaced with some newly modern loft apartments. Not that he wanted to complain because places like this were just right for what he did: secluded, quiet, a river nearby; within a few moments you could disappear. Whether intended or not.

Just as he was about to lower his weapon, he noticed a shadow in the corner of his eye. The shadow quickly revealed itself to be a human form, running away from him. Those damn Hobos! He cursed as he began to give chase. He briefly considered whether he should call his people over but then decided against it. He loved a good hunt and he knew the area inside out. Whichever path the guy took, Domenico would be one step ahead of him. 'The hobo won't even know what's happening to him!' he thought as joyful excitement rose within him. That was the kind of fun as he understood it. Convincing people, like this worm he had to leave behind, to cooperate was a necessity. This, the hunting, this was what he truly burned for.

But it seemed like this hunt would unfortunately be cut short this time because the hobo turned left and would run straight into a dead end. Idiot. However, as fast as he could run, he was either still young or, more likely, on some kind of drugs. But it wouldn't matter: in a few seconds he would be standing in front of the wall and there was no way for him to get over it as short as he was. Domenico slowed his pace slightly and smiled. It probably wasn't a nice smile. At least that's what he'd been told quite often and he hadn't had the heart therefore to kill Matteo. Yet, at least. That bastard was lucky to be his brother. Domenico's smile turned into a frown. Did the guy not see the wall or did he think he could break through it? So probably a junkie after all, what a shame.

"Just sta- what the hell?" Domenico was stunned to see how the guy first jumped up onto the side wall, pushed himself off and was then able to pull himself up onto the front wall before swinging over. Okay, he wasn't expecting that. The dwarf wasn't 4'9 tall! His adrenaline rush had to be insane to pull such a stunt. Even he, at 6'5, could barely reach the edge with his hands but was still able to pull himself up and landed safely on the other side. The dwarf had achieved a small lead. Domenico cursed himself for his carelessness. Still, he was significantly faster on a straight stretch. His prey seemed to have recognized that as well and turned sharp right into one of the other warehouses. Fuck, there were too many ways to escape there. If he didn't think about a plan, there was a real danger that the dwarf would escape. Fuck, fuck, fuck.

As it turned out he wouldn't have time to think about a plan since the other guy had him running in zig-zags like a ridiculous rabbit. His breaths started to become uneven like his heartbeat did too. The guy kept turning at the very least moments. Was it stupidity and he was trying to wear him out, or was it calculation and he was trying to confuse him? Domenico didn't know exactly but he would bet on the latter because after he turned another corner the hobo was gone. Domenico paused and tried to hear something, but the only thing he heard was his heart trying to pump in enough oxygen and the rain. Fuck, that can't be real! He kicked the wall angrily. Again, he tried to hear something; nothing. He had actually lost him! That was not good. On the other hand: what could the hobo have noticed? There was no way he could have seen anything from where he was hiding and even if he did, there would be no evidence left that could somehow link Domenico to it. Still, if he was honest with himself, it was scratching his ego. If his brothers found out, he would have to listen to it for months. He could already imagine how they would rub this in his face again and again.
Annoyed, Domenico turned left to get outside via the main hall. What a shitty day! Frustrated, he kicked a stone forward and heard it fall into the water. With the constant rain, the old shafts must have filled up again. Sure enough, when he got to the hall he could see the water. But that's not all.