Chapter Twentytwo - Surviving

Third Person

"You found a therapist?" A little skeptical, and rightly so as Vito thought to himself, he looked at his brother across the table. They had dinner that evening and Josephine said that she had an appointment with her new psychologist tomorrow. "Have you checked his references?"

Domenico contented himself with a disparaging look and continued eating. "He has no criminal record, if that's enough of a reference for you. I thought that was a good start."

Valentino quickly lowered his head to hide his grin. It was hard to break Vito's patience, but Domenico always made it look so easy. He had mastered what his younger brothers had been despairing of for a long time and didn't even let it seem complicated. Matteo and Riccardo also followed the conversation with interest. Matteo's interest was more in the fact that, for the first time in this family, therapy was discussed openly and Riccardo just liked to see his eldest brothers in discord. Vito's brows seemed to emerge. "I strongly suspect you're joking."

"And you suspect wrong," replied Domenico. "Tiny agreed, so why should we stand in her way?"

He knew that he had checkmated Vito and Vito knew it too. Still, he was sure Josephine would have agreed to anyone they suggested. How could Domenico act so carelessly? Perhaps the psychologist was completely unsuitable. Maybe Josephine wanted a women instead! Female influence certainly wouldn't be wrong, after all she was only among men here. Had Domenico discussed this with her beforehand? "What time is the appointment?"

"At 10 a.m.," Josephine answered quietly and sipped the shake that Maria had made for her. Vito pulled out his cell phone and compared his calendar before typing the appointment in.

"I thought we weren't allowed to use cell phones during dinner or has that changed?" Valentino looked at him innocently. Josephine hid her irritation; She had often seen Domenico in particular with his cell phone at the table, but for him the rules seemed more like guidelines.

"Perché i miei genitori non potevano fermarsi dopo di me?" [Why couldn't my parents stop after me?], Vito murmured quietly.

"Because perfection takes practice. That's why I'm the youngest," Matteo answered confidently and received little encouragement from his brothers. Riccardo snorted contemptuously, Valentino punched him in his side and Domenico kicked his leg under the table.

"No, that's why we have Josephine now. No pressure, but the family's hope is now on you." Valentino winked at her. To no one's surprise, Josephine blushed and looked bashfully at her plate while Matteo said something derogatory to Valentino, which Vito immediately stopped. Eating together, Josephine had learned in the last few weeks, meant just as much to the Marini family as discussing things. It was never quiet.

___________

Bradford Jones was, to put it mildly, nervous about his next appointment. Although there was a certain amount of tension beforehand with every new patient, this time was different. The man on the phone had told him that it was urgent to start the sessions as early as possible, that and a few other things, but other than that only sparse information was given. He vaguely knew the reputation of the Marinis and he wasn't sure how to deal with it. Could he treat the girl the same way he treated his other patients? And what did urgent mean? An incident was stated, but the background to it was not explained further.

It was the same questions that had been bothering him ever since the call. His husband had said he should cancel the appointment, but Bradford doubted this family could be canceled so easily. Especially when it came to a member of the family. His eyes fell on the clock again. They would be there soon if they were on time. As a precaution, he had scheduled the following appointment during his lunch break, just in case it took longer, but they were indeed punctual to the minute.