Chapter Five - Surprises come and go

Josephine

Waking up in a hospital was just as bad as my short stay with the Marinis. While with the latter I could trust that they wouldn't inform anyone from the authorities, the hospital was obliged to inform CPS. I was most annoyed with myself. Over the last few weeks I had spent so much energy hiding myself that I finally ran out of energy. I couldn't say exactly why, but somehow I always felt like I was being followed and in case the Marinis changed their minds I avoided anything that screamed homelessness. Only to collapse on the sidewalk and land in this bed. I had been here for two hours, awake for one of them and they had tried several times to find out who I was but so far I hadn't said a word and the doctors had blamed it on my condition. 

My plan was basically simple: I tried to buy as much time as possible and leave as soon as my body would let me. If I assessed what was going on correctly, it would take a while before the CPS would deal with my case and perhaps that time would be enough for me. 'Perhaps,' thought a dark part of me, 'it would be better if they found me.' But then I would be back with him and I couldn't go through that again, even though I was becoming certain that this winter would be my last.

Was dying really that bad? What else could I expect from my life other than hunger, cold and constant fear? I would never finish school and therefore wouldn't be able to find a job. I didn't have a family and certainly wouldn't have one. So what was left for me? My parents would certainly be disappointed with how my life had turned out, but they weren't there to tell me that after all. "You have no one on the street," Crazy Carl had said and in that moment I understood exactly what he meant for the first time. I was alone and it hurts to be alone. The nurse came back in to check my temperature. She smiled kindly, but I could still see pity in her eyes. She also said something I didn't listen to. I just saw her changing something on the heating blanket above and below me. The blanket was really comfortable I had to admit. I wasn't shaking as much anymore and could feel my feet again. At some point when I was unconscious they must have put an IV in me through which there was now white liquid. I didn't know exactly what it was but the nurse told me it was nutrients to stabilize my circulation. She was really nice and I was a little ashamed of my behavior towards her. After all, she did her best to help me while I did my best not to.

My clothes were neatly folded on a chair to my left. Although it wasn't actually mine but Vito Marini's. I still couldn't understand that I had survived the encounter with his brother. What's more, they had given me food and a place to sleep. They had thrown away my old clothes and given me new ones that were much better than what I had before. I was really grateful for all of it. Also it helped to go into hiding because I no longer looked like a hobo at a first glance. They were probably the reason someone stopped to see if I was still alive or not. Clothes make the man. Again I was ashamed of my thought. Whether it was the clothing or not, the person had seen someone in need and helped them. That had to mean something.

Tired, I leaned my head back into the pillow and looked out the window as the snow had started falling again. I would have preferred to sleep again. Why did everything feel so tiring? I could barely keep my eyes open but something kept me awake.
There was a noise outside in the hallway and footsteps approached my room. It was probably just a coincidence, but my heart started beating faster because of fear. Had they been faster than I anticipated? Were they here to take me yet? That couldn't be! That couldn't be allowed! Everything inside me tensed involuntarily. The footsteps got louder till they suddenly stopped. The door opened; revealing the nice nurse and two doctors who entered the room with their backs to me. They were talking to someone and then I saw whom.
Vito and Domenico Marini.

The two ignored the doctor who said something about my condition and looked at me. I couldn't do anything but stare back. Vito looked elegant like last time. His dark hair was styled and he radiated a natural authority that had made me feel so small last time. His expression was serious but his eyes softened as he looked at me. He looked at me like he wanted me to know that everything would be okay. If only he knew! Domenico looked uninterested. He checked the room, briefly the devices around me and then looked back at me. I couldn't read his look. Why was he here?Why were they both here? How did they know where I was?