Chapter Twentythree - Semicolon

Josephine

Something lit up in Dr. Jones' eyes as I finished the sentence and he leaned back. A small smile appeared on his face. "Good."

I waited to see if he would say anything more, but it seemed to be all he wanted to say. I looked at him nervously, while he continued to be silent and smiling at me.  Embarrassed, I focused on something else and watched out the window. The silence was uncomfortable for me as it always was when I wasn't alone, but at the same time I noticed how I was starting to loosen my build up tensions. Couldn't he say something? Or maybe he was angry because I was so harsh? "I'm sorry for my tone, I didn't mean it."

"Thank you for the apology," Dr. Jones began. "But it's not necessary. I don't feel hurt or attacked in any way. On the contrary, I think of all the things you were willing to share with me, this was the most honest. By that I don't mean that I have any doubt with your story, by no means, but it shows me something inside you that can and wants to fight and I think that's very good."

Hope flared up in me and even though I was already sitting upright, I sat up even more straight. "Does that mean you think I can be cured?"

His smile changed. It still looked honest, but different. "The way you put it, no. Therapy can support you on the path to healing, but you're the one who have to take this path. How far you get or want to get, that depends on you. I don't want to lie to you: it won't always be easy. There may be days where you will feel worse than you do now and there will be days where you feel like you are not making any progress. That is normal and nasty at the same time. If I understood correctly, you experienced things in the last six years that no one, especially no child, should experience. We will not be able to erase these years, they are and will always remain a part of you. To claim that everything has been processed within a few sessions would not be fair to you."

"You're not encouraging me," I whispered quietly, but decided to pull myself together. He was just being honest and if I was the same with myself then I couldn't agree more. "Thanks for the honesty. What happens now?" I needed a plan, something to hold onto. Plans were good, they provided security.

"Should we bring Mr. Marini in for the rest of the conversation or would you like to discuss this with me alone?" asked Dr. Jones and I thought about it. Either way, Vito would ask later what the conversation had resulted in. If not him, then certainly Domenico and I weren't prepared for that sort of interrogation. So rather Vito.

"Should I get him?" I asked and after Dr. Jones nodded, I was already at the door and looked cautiously at Vito. "Would you come to us?" I asked him carefully, in case he was busy with something else.

Vito stood up and smiled at me as he walked the few steps towards us. 'So many smiles in one day.' I thought to myself. "Of course."

I scurried back to my spot. Dr. Jones was setting up another chair, which he sat on and Vito offered the other seat with a hand gesture. I let my gaze wander around the room again, glanced at the clock and was shocked to see that we had been talking to each other for almost an hour. In fact, I had spoken for an hour, which was even more unusual. Did he perhaps have other appointments?

"Josephine and I had the chance to get to know each other a little and I would like to discuss what happens next. First of all, I have a request for you, Mr. Marini. As soon as you have custody of Josephine, you would have the right to inspect the files. I would appreciate it if you don't make use of your rights. Josephine can and must have the certainty to speak freely in this room without having to take others potential reaction into consideration. An exception would of course be suicidal intentions. Are you okay with that?" began Dr. Jones and I felt great gratitude towards him.