Chapter 2 - the breakout -

The days went by and slowly I got used to Caledonia. The girls who slept in the same room with me were all very nice.

However, we had to work here and now, in the middle of wet and cold February, it was really a pain. I have never been good at dealing with the cold. I got cold easily and our uniform wasn't really thick.

The bell rang for dinner and I was really glad, my hands were already blue and I was shivering all over. I really hoped for some soup this evening. Standing in the line for food, I was still shaking from the cold.

„Here, take this." I heard Liams voice behind me. He handed me his jumper. I didn't take it. I just looked at him. I felt like crying from this act of kindness. „You're cold. I don't want you to get sick. Not now." he smiled and inched closer toward me and practically forced me to take it.

For the first time, I looked up at him, blushing, as I took his jumper and said „Thank you, Liam. I really appreciate it." I smiled. He really was handsome! „You're welcome" he said as he stepped back in line, before one of the guards could step up to us and punish us.

I quickly pulled the jumper over my head. It was still warm from Liam. And it smelled wonderful. The smell lured me in and for some reason I felt a little bit safe for the first time. As safe as one can feel in a camp like this.

__________

Later that evening I stepped into the library again. It was my safe space here and I tried to spend as much time as possible there in my free time.
I wasn't alone. The friend of Liam was here, too.

He stood quite far back and hastily stuffed some books into a bag, which he then stowed under his jumper. He looked around and his eyes fell on mine.

Suddenly an alarm went off. His eyes widened. "No, not yet, Lee, you idiot," he muttered in panic. Then he seemed to remember that I was still there too.

I had meanwhile sunk to my knees, expecting the incredibly shrill, loud White Noise. I covered my eyes, tried to protect them from too much damage that was about to happen.
„What are you doing there?!" the boy yelled as he came up to me. „Hurry. We have to leave. Maybe we can leave. Come on." he rushed and got me up to drag me toward the door. The White Noise didn't come. But we couldn't leave the library as well. The corridor was full of guards.

„Shit" the boy next to me whispered as he closed the door again. „What now?" i asked, suddenly aware of the situation we were in. This must be Liams exit plan. And we were trapped inside. I ran toward the windows and opened them, looking down.

I ran to the back to the windows and opened them. I found what I was looking for at one window in the back: the pipe of a gutter! It led right to the ground with some metallic rings to support it. Maybe we could hang onto them while climbing down.

„Come here!" I yelled over to the boy. „We can go down here! Down this pipe! Let's go!" i said, full of hope. We could escape! We could actually leave! Adrenaline pumped through my veins for the first time in forever and I was ready for what was to come.

„Are you crazy?" the boy asked eyes wide. „We can't! We will slip and if we fall, we are dead." he said.
„I'd much rather be dead than live another day in this hell." I simply answered and stood up on a stool to climb out of the window.

The boy gazed at me, his mouth gaped open a bit. „You ARE crazy" he said but followed. „On your risk!" he exclaimed and looked fearfully down.
I imagined this to be a lot easier but I wouldn't back down then. I took a deep breath and started climbing, the boy quickly followed. We were halfway down when we heard people shouting in the library. They must have noticed the open windows and began searching them.
„quick!" the boy above me whisper yelled and I tried to hurry.

One of the guard man stuck his face down the window we were climbing and shouted at us to stop. The boy panicked and tried to climb faster only to slip and drag me down with him.
„Well, that was a lot faster than expected" he said out of breath as we stood up. The snow caught us and except for a few bruises we were fine.

Suddenly, the man from the window got a gun an shot at us. It was loud and we ran away as fast as we could, hoping to not get shot.
We ran where everyone outside ran. Toward the big fence. In front I could see some yellows working on the electricity of the fence.

More gunshots. Kids around us fell. Everywhere was blood, so much blood. Kids screamed in terror and despair. The boy and I tried to make our way up front. Some kids tried to go back, holding their hands up, defeated, only to be shot as all the others in the back.

I stumbled and nearly fell if the dark skinned boy I had escaped with hadn't helped me. „If we all make it out, I'm going to kill Lee, I told him..." he said as he dragged me farther to the front.

I saw him first. Liam. He stood in front of the fence with some other Blues, trying to move it. They eventually made it and many kids ran through it. Many more were shot. The boy next to my tried to drag us to Liam, but we failed. We couldn't go through all of the kids that were running around.

„Come on!" he shouted to me gesturing toward the forest in front of us. We passed the thrown fence. It ripped at my trousers and left bruises on my legs. Just then I realised how cold it was. It was snowing and I was shivering again.

Breathing hurt, running hurt and my legs bled horribly from all of the cuts. But we had to keep on moving. We just had to if we ever wanted to escape. Two kids right next to me were shot and fell face forward to the ground, leaving nothing but lots of red.

The boy ripped me away from them and we ran as fast as we could. We were one of the very few that had make it into the forest. We left a trial of dead bodies and a red trace behind us. I felt sick.

We kept on running deeper into the forest as it happened: a bullet hit me in my shoulder. It was enough to make me stumble and fall. My head landed on a stone and everything went black.