Chapter 6 - black betty -

Chubs was right. So we didn't go shopping. Instead, we hid in our hideout until the sun went down. We tensed every time a car drove by or a human crossed the street nearby.

Liam had taken Zu onto his lap and held her tightly to comfort and warm her.
In the meantime, I had put on some trousers and a warm jumper, but I was still freezing.
I wondered, how long it would take us to get sick in the cold.

„Okay, I think we are safe to go" Liam said and got up. „Wait here, please. I'll go and look if we are free to leave." he went away from our hideout and came back a minute later, waving at us to come with him.

Chubs took our 2 backpacks and I took Zu and we walked slowly up to Liam who took one of the backpacks from Chubs. We quietly moved through the town. It looked somewhat scary and deserted now. Many shops were empty and their windows were smashed with heavy bricks.

We continued walking for an hour before Liam decided to get us some fast food.
While he was gone, I looked around, trying to find a place where we could sit down when I saw it: An abandoned car park full of old cars that nobody seemed to miss.

I walked towards there and looked around. Many cars were old and rusty and small.
In the corner far right I saw a small hut. I went up there and peeked inside it through a slit in the wooden panelling.

Many keys hung on the walls. I needed to somehow get in there. I found a crow bar behind the hut and propped it up in the slot of the wood. I pushed against it with all my strength and very slowly the wood began to splinter and finally break.

I laughed triumphantly and stuck my hand through the gap and opened the door from inside. Inside it smelled musty and mouldy. No one had been here for years.

I grabbed the keys which looked the least old in hope to find a car to maybe stay the night in. To at least have a dry place for us.

I walked around the place for about 10 minutes when I found it: a black minivan. At it's side it had a small writing on it. „Betty's cleaning service" it said. I grinned. It was perfect. I tried some keys and luckily had the right one on me.

I opened the car to look inside and smiled to myself. We could even sleep inside here! It was perfect for the night.

I made my way back to our small group where Liam had just arrived. „Where have you been?" he asked concerned as he handed ma a small bag with food.
„I hope, you can drive, because I've found something nice" I said, holding up the keys and grinned to my friends.

They looked stunned and amazed and equally happy when we reached the minivan. „Wow! Pretty roomy. Awesome!" Chubs said as he climbed inside.
Liam looked pleased as well and Zu couldn't stop smiling at me.

After eating, Liam took the keys. He wanted to see if „Black Betty" could still drive. We celebrated when the motor turned on.

The tank was still half full and the minivan appeared to be fully functional in other respects as well.
„Oh I could kiss you, Anni!" liam exclaimed excitedly as he manoeuvred the car onto the streets. I blushed in the backseat and couldn't help but imagining it which left a warm tingling feeling in my center. I smiled down as Zu watched me and yawned. We didn't get too much of sleep last night and my head was pretty sore as well.

__________

I must have fallen asleep. When I opened my eyes again, the sun was shining deep upon us. We were driving.
„hey, sleepyhead, do you wanna join us again?" Chubs asked amused.

Chubs and Zu were bent over a notebook. „He's teaching her maths." Liam explained. He had watched me through the rearview mirror.
„Maths? What for?" i asked, confused. It's not like we're driving home to go back to school again. There are no schools anymore.