| Escala |

Kafiraana sa hai...
Ishq hai ya, kya hai?...

There was something so decadent about waking up in a pristine white hotel bed in a plush white hotel robe, the scrumptiously soft pillows seductively calling you back to sleep whilst the subdued rays of sunshine peeked from behind the heavy curtains. Meerab decided this was now her favourite way to sleep, at least in Doha. Sleeping in just a robe back home wouldn't really achieve the same relaxing effect. For one, the maid would enter her room like she did every morning with hot chocolate, and get the shock of her life seeing a half-naked 'Meerab Bibi'.

Standing in front of the vanity mirror in her bathroom, Meerab twisted her hair up into a bun and got on with her morning routine whilst going over the itinerary for the day; a training flight to Dubai, a short stay there for a joint training activity with a Dubai-based airline, followed by a training flight back to Doha. Saba was heading to Oman for the same, so it was just going to be Meerab and a few other trainees on the Dubai flight.

Dusting the setting powder off her face, Meerab picked up the signature Chanel lip colour provided to every Phoenix air-hostess and delicately lined her lips a deep tea pink. As always, Phoenix Air did things differently; the deep pink was in perfect harmony with the cream silk blouse and navy trousers, projecting a vibe of understated elegance. Lastly, her hair was smoothed back from her face and subtly pinned behind her ears, the ends falling down her back in loose waves; it was either this or the option of a sleek bun. 

Liking the finished look, Meerab slipped on the navy Chanel kitten heels, grabbed her cream carry-on and tote bag , also Chanel and courtesy of Phoenix, and headed out of the door feeling like a million bucks.

The lobby of the Mandarin Oriental was pulsating with purpose, energy and Chanel Coco Mademoiselle, the signature perfume of every Phoenix air-hostess. It was the strangest of atmospheres; everyone seemed to be going somewhere, but there was an air of relaxation which seemed to be the case everywhere in Doha. It was like work was carried out with expertise and ease but with as much luxury as one could manage.

Breakfast was over with quickly and Meerab hugged Saba a quick goodbye before hurrying out of the buffet hall, eager to meet her cabin crew at the designated point. The smell of the familiar Qatari bakhour coming from the concierge hit her nose as she walked past it, her heels making subtle click-clacks on the gleaming cream marbled floor.

In the next five seconds, things happened which Meerab couldn't have rationally explained even if her life depended on it. The click-clack of her heels came to a sudden halt, her feet pausing mid-step, and her mid-section tightened, causing her to loosen her grip on the handle of her cabin bag and turn around slightly, her body stationary, feeling without purpose for a split second. Brows crinkled, Meerab scanned the length of the lobby in front of her; just the sofas and loungers for guests, the complementary drinks table and the East-Side lifts, nothing to note. Angling her body, she turned her head around, looking behind her, and it took her eyes just a second to hone into their target.

Only by what could be described as sheer magnetism, her entire being seemed to sway towards the dark head which was visible from the group of people seated in one of the glass lounges in the lobby; his face was hidden, only a strip of tan forehead, his dark hair, styled the way it usually was for business, and his left hand with the familiar matte silver chain of his watch resting on a white sleeve cuff, clasped with matte silver cufflinks visible to Meerab. Even whilst sitting, he seemed to be a head above everyone else, and without any conscious effort, Meerab's body turned fully around and took a few steps ahead, bringing into view her husband, in all his corporate glory.

He was sat in what were known as the Billionaires Bay Lounges; a strip of cabins along the front of the hotel, overlooking the coast which the Mandarin was built upon. Around fifteen lounges in total, each one was either fully glass or brick depending on the nature of use, which ranged from business meetings to private use. Each lounge was tastefully decorated with both a lounge area and a working area, with glass lounges having a gorgeous view of the beach and glittering sea.