Chapter 8

Nanon

"Nobody... Nobody seems to understand my discomfort." I mumbled while getting on top of the ladder. Today this whole room will be painted white.

"Sir..." The maid came in. I turned to look at her. "What is supposed to be done now?" She bowed and asked.

"Did you throw away all the pillows and blankets with flower prints?" I asked.

She nodded. "Yes sir. And here are the grey and white ones you asked for." She pointed at the stack she brought in.

"Great. Please help me change the bedsheets. And once this last wall is done, help me change the curtains too." I said turning to the wall. Only the last patch is pending. Then this Barbie-some will be a habitable place.

The maid got to her job and I continued painting. This side of wall is the highest as there is nothing below on which I can keep the ladder and get to the top. I am almost on my toes on the top-most ladder and still can't reach the corner most patch.

"Need help?" A familiar voice interrupted me and I immediately turned to look back. The sudden jerk made the ladder jerk and I was almost about to fall before a strong pair of hands held the ladder still.

"You ok?" Jay asked with concerned face.

I was holding the ladder and almost saved myself from falling flat. I nodded and smiled. "Saved by an inch." I said.

He smiled and I noticed his dimpled chin on his muscular face that made him look somewhat pretty too. He extended his hand to me still grinning wide. "Here, let me help you." He said.

I grinned back and held his hand. He held it firmly and helped me get down the ladder. "Thanks." I said as I got down. "Here." I extended the brush.

He gaped at me. "Huh?"

"Go on. Climb up and get your height to use." I said and pressed my lips.

He shook his head and grinned. "Unbelievable."

I raised my brows. "What?"

"You... You are not at all the same Nanon I knew." He said and laughed taking the brush from my hand and started climbing the ladder.

I cleared my throat guilty. It's true though. I am not the same Nanon. And doesn't this guy like have a crush or me or something? Not me actually. He has a crush on the Nanon he thinks I am but who I am not. Somehow this is all making me feel guilty. Should I tell him?

He removed his jacket and gave it to me. Somehow the smell is very overpowering. I immediately kept it on side and looked at him rolling up his sleeves on his muscled arm. His shirt is tucked to his body so tight that one can easily visualize the built beneath.

I gulped and looked down at my paunch. It's not that big but when I stand in front of all these stonewalls I somehow feel intimidated.

"Why the change? Did you not decorate this room yourself before?" He asked while painting the last remaining patch.

"I wanted some redecoration." I said scratching my head.

"Well I am glad. Your taste now matches mine a lot." He grinned looking at me and keeping the brush into the bucket. The Barbie dome is now completely white.

I smiled and looked around. "Much better. I thought I would start witnessing the phase of photosynthesis in here soon." I mumbled.

"Hahahahahaha" I heard a loud laugh from behind me and I turned to see Jay laughing heartily.

I smiled. "What?"

"You are funny." He said. "I like you."

My smile disappeared. I gulped. He looked into my eyes and took a step closer still with his broad smile intact.