1

I woke up to my alarm screaming in my ear.

'Another day of school,' I complained to myself. I threw my blankets off of me and forced myself up. I only have fifteen minutes before my best friend, Maggie, is here to pick me up. I put on a T-shirt and baggy sweatpants and left my room without looking in the mirror. I hate looking in the mirror. I went to the bathroom to wash my face, avoiding eye contact with the reflection being shown. I sighed as I splashed the cool water on my face and felt the knots in my hair before going downstairs.

"Good morning, honey," Mom said, her eyes immediately drawn to my lazy clothes and messy hair.

"Morning," I replied, grabbing my backpack off the couch.

"Are you sure you want to go to school like that?" she asked, half-heartedly.

"Yeah, I look fine," I said back. 

"Your hair is a tangled mess," she pointed out.

"I'm okay with that," I replied, walking towards the front door.

"People are gonna think I neglect you," she frowned.

"Bye Mom, Maggie's here," I said, walking out of the door.

"Bye, love you!" she called out after me. I drag my feet down the driveway towards Mag's silver car.

"Morning sunshine," she said sarcastically as I opened the passenger door.

"Haha, so funny," I fake laughed and sat down.

"Are you okay?" she asked as she started driving down the street towards school.

"Yeah, I'm alright, just tired," I replied, rubbing my eyes.

"Are you sure that's it? You're not stressed or thinking about anything?" She turned her head slightly towards me but kept her eyes on the road.

"I mean, I don't know, my dreams have been kinda weird," I said back. I thought back to the dreams I'd been having. My hair is short, my chest is flat, and I'm happy and comfortable.

"What happens in your dreams?" Mag's asked, turning into the school parking lot.

"Nothing that would keep me up at night," I lied.

"C'mon Jess, I'm your best friend, you can tell me anything," she reassured. I winced at the nickname.

"I promise I'm fine," I said, getting out of the car, "thanks for the ride, as always." She forced a smile as she looked at me.

"Of course, have a good day, see ya at lunch," she replied. I smiled and waved as the door shut, beginning my walk into school.