Chapter Eight

The EHS auditorium had filled to maximum capacity, restricting any extra attendees from entering the building. Luckily, the Disney-ABC Television Group arranged for a television crew to film the Blues' performance inside the auditorium, broadcasting it live on their flagship network, as well as streaming on Disney+ and Hulu. Unfortunately, this added more pressure for the Drama Club, who were now facing worldwide scrutiny in the event of a no-show.

----------------------------

E.J.: "Well, we had a good run. But, like they say, all good things must come to an end...a really, really, really bad end."

----------------------------

Mr. Mazzara: "Will I face the consequences, should the school's reputation be ruined for my actions? Of course. Will I face the inevitable mob that may very well bring this whole auditorium down over our ears? Hell, no!"

----------------------------

The Drama Club students, Eduardo, the Three Caballeros, Love Händel, and Mr. Mazzara peeked through the red curtains to see the relentless crowd repeatedly chanting "Blues!" A full hour had passed after what was supposed to have been the start of the show, and there was no sign of Juliet and El-J anywhere.

"Should we just cancel?" Ashlyn recommended.

"And risk pissing off twenty million people?!" Carlos snapped.

"Hey, chill!" Kourtney defended Ashlyn from Carlos's frustration. "It was just a suggestion!"

"A very bad suggestion!" Carlos criticized.

"This is all his fault!" Donald squawked, pointing to Mazzara.

"Donald's right!" Bobbi supported his bandmate. "You, sir, are not a professional!"

"I feel bad enough as it is," Mazzara retorted. "I don't need you people to remind me every 2.15 seconds!"

"C'mon, guys, let's not lose our heads," Big Red stepped in as peacemaker, but it did no good, as the band, the Drama Club, and Mr. Mazzara started to bicker among themselves.

Eduardo just looked on, coolly shaking his head at the spectacle, when he detected movements to his left field of vision. His face beamed with a pearly-white smile, seeing El-J and Juliet enter from the backstage door. Despite being sweaty and out-of-breath from their urgent arrival, they were performance-ready.

"Panic no more, mi amigos!" Eduardo ceased the bickering. "Our heroes have arrived!" When they saw him gesture to where El-J and Juliet were standing, they erupted with cheers.

But there was no time to celebrate. It was showtime.

The Caballeros and Love Händel took their places beside their musical instruments, as did the Drama Club members who worked as stagehands.

Mr. Mazzara just stood and curiously observed while Eduardo hyped himself up, as the curtain rose to satisfied applause. The band played "Soul Finger" for Eduardo's introduction of the evening's stars: "Good evening, everyone, and welcome to the United States of America. And, indeed, we have congregated here at this time to celebrate a most treasured wellspring of contemporary music. It is the sound which historians in the far future might catalogue under 'twentieth century pre-light-emitting-diode euphoric.' But today the sound lives and tonight is sampled exclusively for your entertainment pleasure. From the music capitals of this continent this is the hard-hitting showband of Juliet and El-J Blues. Ladies and gentlemen, these are the Blues!"