Chapter 2: Arc I: Orcus Great Labyrinth - Part 02

DISCLAIMER IS IN THE FIRST CHAPTER!

ARC I: ORCUS GREAT LABYRINTH - Part 02

—»O«—

In the labyrinth, there was a pack of two-tailed wolves. A pack of wolves usually consisted of 4-6 members. Because they were the weakest demon on this level, they compensated by cooperating in a group. The group that Hajime and Kaori found circling their friend was no exception, they totaled three in number. It wasn't their usual number, but it was easy to guess their number has decreased because of Shizuku's life-and-death struggle.

Hajime was dumbfounded when he saw Yaegashi Shizuku in a helpless state. However, when Kaori saw her friend's pitiful condition, her emotionless face cracked. Her dirty face, yet still with a trace of beauty, slowly contorted into shock then disbelief and finally panic before she ran towards her best friend. "Shizuku!" Kaori anything but screamed, incurring the wolves' attention. Since their reunion, it was the first time Hajime heard a loud voice, full of emotion, from Kaori.

"Ka-Kaori?" Shizuku stared at Kaori's direction. Her dull red eyes, full of despair and anguish, regained their luster, but they dimmed immediately.

The savagery of the abyss has truly crushed Shizuku's spirit. Its brutality is too much. She has thoroughly broken and given up all hope.

Ignoring the desolate look of the usually strong-willed girl, Kaori activated the only Barrier Magic she knew.

«Light Severance».

Finding another prey, they silently exchanged meaningful gaze, showing how smart and highly sentient they are, before they ran to Kaori. To them, the pitiful and helpless Shizuku was no threat. The healthy Kaori was a threat they needed to put down before they could feast.

They shot lightning magic to Kaori, which was blocked by «Light Severance». It broke. However, Kaori rapidly cast her barrier again in a mere split second. In her current state, she is in the state where all her mind is focusing only on survival. Helping Shizuku was secondary. She could think about it after arriving next to Shizuku. Furthermore, her barrier magic is her only means to survive and all her attention is focusing on casting that barrier.

For a moment, Kaori showed proficiency in barrier magic beyond Tanaguchi Suzu, another female student who is hailed as barrier mistress.

Witnessing how their attack was useless against the rampaging human-shaped bull, the wolves lunged to Kaori. There was a loud smacking sound. The light barrier shattered but all wolves were thrown aside.

If he wasn't in a deadly situation, Hajime would think the sight was amusing, comical and humorous. He immediately slammed his remaining hand, covered with a glove with magic circle inscription, a focus to help him with his «Transmutation».

"Transmute! Transmute! Transmute!"

Hajime chanted quickly while transmuting the ground where the wolves will land, creating holes that will engulf the electric canine. The wolves saw through Hajime's ruse, but the speed of their descending and their state in the air made their effort to move in vain. Hajime did another «Transmutation». With a loud shout "Transmute! Transmute! Transmute!" he covered the holes with stones, trapping the savage wolves in their temporary cages.

Hajime crept to the wolves' cages, keeping his guard all the time. When he was standing above the cages and sure the wolves wouldn't break out soon, he focused on his next task, killing the wolves.

"Now what? My transmutation has no direct killing power. Both the speed and power of my transmuting did not seem to be enough to kill the demons."

Mumbling that line, Hajime looked through a tiny peephole with his glistening eyes. The motionless wolf growled menacingly while it was in the hole. He took a quick glimpse of the girls and found Kaori was consoling the weeping Shizuku. While they were busy with their own stuff, he also needed to focus on his part.