Chapter 4: Arc I: Orcus Great Labyrinth - Part 04

DISCLAIMER IS IN THE FIRST CHAPTER!

ARC I: ORCUS GREAT LABYRINTH - Part 04

—»O«—

Hajime and his entourage spent some time in the base he had created for this floor, the fiftieth since the Tar Floor, sharpening their skill, giving their weapons the needed maintenance, and resting their body properly. They had already discovered the stairs leading to the next floor, but there was a location on this floor that seemed distinctly different to him and the other two. An ominous atmosphere seemed to pervade the space around it.

At the very end of one of the side passages was a room which contained a set of majestic double doors, each three meters tall. On each side of the door was a statue of a cyclops sunk deep into the recesses of the wall.

When they had tried to step into the room, Hajime and Co. had felt chills run down their spine and had beat a hasty retreat, deciding that room was dangerous. Of course, the retreat was only temporary. He and his girls were going back to prepare and had no intention of skipping past that room. After all, it was the first thing he had run into these past 50 floors that were "different." There was no way he wasn't going to check it out. Kaori also showed her interest to what inside the room. It seems that only Shizuku who showed doubt about the room, but she was helpless against the other two's strong interest in the mysterious room.

They were filled with both expectation and trepidation as Hajime thought about the door. However, once they opened it, he knew some kind of disaster awaited. Still, it was also an opportunity to call forth the winds of change in this never-ending hell.

"It's just like Pandora's Box... Now then, I wonder what kind of hope awaits me when I open it." Hajime gazed at the double doors with interest.

"Pandora's Box? Isn't it said to bring disaster than hope, no?" Shizuku still showed her resistance against Hajime's intention to check out the room.

From her research about Anime, Manga and Light Novel with Kaori, she knew what Pandora's Box is.

Meanwhile, Kaori was alternating her gaze between the two Cyclops' statues. Her red eyes were glowing in the darkness of the room, giving eerie light.

"What's it?" Hajime found Kaori's action was a bit strange. His question took the Demonic Priestess' attention, and Kaori turned her eyes in Hajime's direction.

"These statues, no, these monsters are alive."

"What did you mean, Kaori?" Hajime gave Kaori an incomprehensible stare, mirrored by Shizuku.

"It's weird. My «Examine» tells me these statues are monster and alive." Digesting Kaori's report, Hajime rubbed his chin and made a thoughtful expression. He stared at the statues with interest.

"Maybe, they are inactive Golems or Gargoyles perhaps?" Hajime showed his fantasy knowledge he gained from his hobby. Kaori and Shizuku who had some knowledge of Japan's subculture didn't have any problem following Hajime's words.

"So, are we going to wake them, kill them, and eat them?" Kaori asked the leader of their group frankly. Even though it had never been discussed properly, Hajime was unofficially the leader of their group. Shizuku followed Kaori's gaze and waited for Hajime's decision. Being the center of two beautiful young women's attention and looked up with intense gaze would make Hajime nervous wreck back in Japan, but he is different now. They had experienced hell together and supported each other so far. They had the unmeasurable deep bond, which was tempered by the hardship they forced to triumph.

"It's quite obvious, isn't it? A famous monster like Cyclops likely has an interesting skill that can help us in the long run. But, firstly first, we need to wake them from their slumber, and I have an idea how to do it." Hajime smiled fearlessly in the girls' direction.