Chapter Eight - Taiga Field Trip, Part 1

I'm putting absolutely no brain cells into this fic and I am loving it

__

It really was shocking how much of a difference it made to have a single night of restful sleep.

You woke up briefly a couple times during the night, catching a couple glimpses of Herobrine moving around his room before drifting off again. You finally woke up properly when the bell rang for breakfast. Herobrine was nowhere to be found, so you dragged yourself out of bed, stretched, and headed for the door that would take you downstairs.

Everything seemed a little brighter, you noticed as you made your way to the dining hall, and you no longer jumped at every shadow. Nor did you flinch away from Jace's glare, which was the first thing to meet you when you appeared in the doorway.

"Y/N!" Soot called, standing up and hurrying over to greet you. You paused and waited for her, having to crane your neck to meet her eyes as she approached. "How are you feeling?" She asked as she came to a stop. "Mr. Herobrine said you had a hard day."

"Yeah, well..." You shrugged. "Kind of a rough week. But I'm feeling better."

"Good!" Soot clapped her hands together with a clack sound. "I'm happy to hear that. Come on, let's get you breakfast."

As you loaded up your tray, you felt eyes on you- not unusual, but this time when you turned around you found Morpheus watching you quietly. Not like he had been, though, as he went back to his meal quickly enough. He could probably tell that you'd slept well last night. A stab of guilt hit you as you heard over to your seat, you'd been pretty rude to him over the past few days. Sure, he was creepy, but he couldn't help the way he looked.

"Here," Kaden held up a sealed piece of paper as you sat down. "Teacher told me to give this to you." You took it with a thankful nod, breaking the seal and looking it over.

"We all got ours last night after class." Marrow cut in as you skimmed the page. It was your grades for the week. You had gotten a B in math, history, cooking, reading and writing, and brewing, an A in art, and a C in hiding, athletics, and world studies. Combat just had a dash through it rather than a letter grade. Not too bad all around.

"Thanks." You told Kaden, folding up the paper and putting it in your backpack. "What's on the schedule for today?"

"I don't know." Soot shook her head, sinking down next to you. "The class schedule says that Saturday is 'open'."

"Doesn't that mean no classes?"

"Well, no." Soot shook her head. "Because Sunday is 'off', not open."

"Oh." You scooped up a forkful of eggs, pondering this for a moment.

"I know what we're doing today." A voice piped up from across the table, and you looked up to find Cray leaning on the table and looking at you. "Teacher told me. We're going on a trip!"

"A trip?" You echoed. "Where?"

"I dunno." Cray shrugged. "Didn't say." He went back to his breakfast, which was... candles?

"Huh." You took a bite of your food, wondering where Herobrine could be bringing you.

You wouldn't have to wonder for long. Within a few minutes, the school bell rang, and you followed the others to the classroom where Herobrine was waiting.

"Good morning," Herobrine greeted you as you sat down at your desk. "I hope you all had a good night." His eyes lingered on you for a moment longer than everyone else.

"Today we are going to go on a field trip." He went on. "When we arrive, we will have a short discussion on the local climate, then I will be putting you into teams and sending you on a scavenger hunt. Your grade for this outing will be based on your overall behavior as well as how you perform in the scavenger hunt." You glanced over at Soot. You'd probably be paired up with her, right?