Chapter Thirteen - Crafting Class

It started storming not long after class ended.

The sound of rain beating against the roof and windows was calming - to you, at least. You could see Fade shooting nervous glances at the walls. You had no qualms about getting wet, and the rain sounded like a great backdrop to do homework to.

Dinner was peaceful. Entity 303 wasn't there. Where he was, you didn't know, you just enjoyed the quiet and chatting with the skeletons. Xa-Tul stopped by to say hello to you on her way out, which made you smile. You couldn't believe you were actually making friends in this weird place.

It got dark early, and you talked with the skeletons for so long that they retired to their respective rooms before you finished eating. You were almost the last one there, you noticed as you hurriedly finished your cold food. The only others there were Kai and Soliel, who were chatting quietly at the far end of the table. Neither of them were paying much attention to you, but Soliel disliked you and Kai... could easily kill you, so you weren't keen on sticking around for long all by yourself. Putting away your dishes, you quietly left the room, making your way towards your dorm to work on your homework.

You weren't sure if it was just the rain, but you felt... very peaceful tonight. You weren't worried about whether or not you would be able to sleep, or nervous about Jace popping out at you. This school, as odd as it was, was starting to feel like home to you.

As you turned a corner, a voice echoing down the halls made you pause.

"-know what you are."

"I don't see how that's any of your business."

"Answer the question!!"

You frowned. That sounded like... Jace? You crept closer, peering around the next corner to see Jace and Entity 303 standing at the far end of the hall. 303 had his arms folded, leaning back casually against the wall as Jace leaned over him. You frowned. Was he really threatening a teacher??

"If you want to know so bad," 303 gave a small shrug. "I'm a griefer."

"That's not what I meant!" Jace snapped.

"Look, it's been a long day, and I'm ready to hit the hay. You look like you could use a nap too." 303 suggested. He lifted a hand to push Jace away, and the slime seized him by the wrist.

"I don't want you here, player." Jace hissed as you stiffened. "Leave."

"No." 303 met his gaze evenly.

"You will, or I will make your life here miserable."

"You simply don't have that power." 303 vanished for a split second, appearing behind Jace. "Goodnight, Jace." He said as the slime spun around in shock. With that, he vanished.

You quickly hid behind the wall as Jace looked around for his victim. Finding nothing, he retreated- fortunately the other direction. You breathed out shakily, your sense of relaxation shattered. Why did Jace have to be such a- such a jerk??

You spent a couple minutes in the hallway, ears peeled for approaching footsteps as you tried to calm down your breathing. Finally, you composed yourself enough to flee back to your dorm, where you intended to hide with Silvia for the rest of the evening.

You did not expect to return to the sight of Entity 303, lounging outside and eating a golden carrot.

"Ah, Y/N." He greeted you cheerfully as you froze in your tracks. "Hey- you're not in trouble." He added, voice softening slightly. "You saw me and Jace, didn't you?" Heart in your throat, you nodded. "Here," 303 beckoned you over, sinking down against the wall. "Sit with me." Meekly, you obeyed, going to sit against the wall with your new teacher.