one

Dex Dizznee never saw the appeal in taking his siblings trick-or-treating, but his parents clearly did, and so he did just that.

He opened the door to his bedroom and stepped out of it. When he entered the living room, there were three small ghosts waiting for him. Or that's what they were dressed up as, at least. The cut sheets seemed to satisfy the children, though Dex felt sorry that the budget was so low.

"Bex, where's your pillowcase?" He asked.

One of the ghosts let out a small yelp and rushed back to her room, only to return a moment later with a pillowcase in hand.

"Alright, is everyone ready?" He asked, trying not to sound reluctant.

"Ready!" They shouted in unison.

"Let's get outta here." He led them to the front door and exited the house after them, locking the door on his way out.

It's true that he didn't want to do this, but he'd do lots of things to make his siblings happy, even though he wouldn't admit it.

He wore a pale green sweater with dark brown jeans. The outfit seemed to match the season. The sun was still setting, but he doubted they'd be able to see it by the time the triplets had finished. Maybe he should have made a costume of his own, it did sound like fun. Unfortunately for him, school took up most of his time, and that included the time that would be required for making costumes.

The triplets arrived at the first house. Dex wasn't too far behind. By the time that he'd caught up to them, the door was closed and they had gotten their first treats of the night. He followed them to the next house, where they got more. He stood behind them the whole time without a pillowcase, though he did occasionally take pictures of them, as they went from house to house, their pillowcases slowly filling up with treats.

He began to get exhausted, he didn't understand how these three could have so much energy, and it would be even worse once they finished all these treats. He groaned at the thought, and decided he'd have to shut himself in his room all night—and possibly the next day. Rex, Bex, and Lex could cause so much chaos, and in the worst way possible. He remembered when they'd found out about his crush on Sophie from a few years ago by reading his journal. He cringed at the memory.

When he remembered what he was really supposed to be doing—instead of getting lost in his own thoughts—he looked at the triplets in front of him to see them with their pillowcases halfway full.

"Wh—how? What? Where did you get all that?" He was shocked. Hadn't they only left the house a few minutes ago?

The three ghost children glanced at each other before one of them said, "It's a secret!"

Dex rolled his eyes and they continued walking. Knowing his siblings, they had probably stolen it all somehow, that or they had begged so desperately for the extra candy. He knew that trick worked on his parents sometimes, and it was so irritating to him.

He wasn't particularly enjoying the trick-or-treating until he followed the triplets to the front door of a rather intimidating, tall house. It seemed as though whoever dwelled there wouldn't be friendly, but Dex didn't like to make assumptions. He still wasn't sure that he wanted the door to be answered.

The triplets didn't seem to feel the same way, so he reluctantly followed them up to the front door. The three of them began fighting over who would knock on the door. Annoyed by their bickering, Dex reached over them and knocked on the door himself, ignoring their protests. He braced himself in case a wealthy old man answered the door, but to his surprise, the open door revealed someone completely different.

His blond hair was roguishly tousled, and yet handsome in a way. His ice blue eyes seemed to pierce right through Dex's heart as he leaned on the doorway, wearing a black jacket and red jeans. Dex would have expected the boy to be looking at the triplets, but instead, he was looking right at him.