six

Dex was lying in his bed when he got a text from Sophie.

soph 💓
Hey.

His face became pale.

Dex 🫶
oh hi

soph 💓
I appreciate what you did for me, but maybe don't do it again?

Dex 🫶
yeah, i'm sorry. i didn't think about you when i decided to confront fitz.

soph 💓
It's not a problem, do you wanna do some baking together soon?

Dex 🫶
you know it!!

soph 💓
I'm pretty busy until Wednesday, is after school then alright?

Dex 🫶
yeah

soph 💓
Okay, see you then!

Dex let out a sigh of relief and stood up from his bed. He walked over to his dresser, taking some brown jeans and a baggy knit sweater. He avoided the mirror as he changed into the clothes.

As he stepped out of his house, he could feel the cold air on his face. It was getting closer to winter; he would need to get warmer clothes. He decided to head to the coffee shop again, but not just for coffee.

He walked through the doors of the cafe, but stopped when he caught sight of him.

Him.

That wavy blond hair. Those ice blue eyes. That smirk that drove him crazy.

But when he spotted Dex, Keefe wasn't smirking. His eyes sparkled and his mouth shone with the biggest, most genuine grin that Dex had ever seen.

Dex smiled just as widely and rushed over. "Hey!"

Before he could even take Dex's order, he asked, "Wanna go to the roller rink with me after my shift ends?"

He seemed very nervous. Dex could see him playing with the ends of his red flannel sleeves. Dex, however, was about to combust with excitement and... something else. A feeling that he was unsure of.

"Yeah, of course!" He exclaimed.

Keefe somehow grinned even wider. "Great! My shift ends in fifteen minutes."

Dex could have sworn his cheeks turned pink, like the color of strawberry lemonade. "Alright!"

"Now, what can I get for you?"

Dex laughed. "A medium vanilla latte, please."

Keefe winked and walked away from the counter to prepare the drink.

Dex walked over to a table, feeling his face warm up.

Wait. Had Keefe just asked him out on a date?

✰ ✰ ✰

Keefe approached Dex. "My shift is over," he said.

Dex smiled and stood up, tossing his empty cup into the trash. He walked beside Keefe on their way to the roller rink, which was only twenty minutes away by foot.

"Is now a good time to tell you that I don't know how to skate?" Keefe asked.

Dex burst out laughing. "Now is the perfect time."

Keefe sighed, a bit embarrassed.

"It's alright, I'll teach you," Dex assured him.

When they arrived at the roller rink, the first thing they did was rent some roller skates.