eight

He ran so quickly that he nearly got run over twice. He could not have cared less if his feet hurt afterward or his face felt cold. He even ignored the twist in his ankle. Tears came to his eyes; whether they were from the icy wind or his longing for Keefe's safety, he was not sure. All he knew was that he needed to find him.

A sob escaped his throat, but it did not stop him. He wiped his tears away and ran faster than they escaped his eyes.

Soon, the road ended. He was on a leaf-covered path, surrounded by trees just the same.

He was running through the woods, which, to him, belonged to them.

Then, he spotted a familiar head of blond hair. Ice-blue tear-stained eyes and a band t-shirt.

"Keefe!"

He tackled the blond boy, tears rubbing and sobs escaping all at once. He held him so tightly that nobody could have separated the two. Keefe buried his face in Dex's shoulder, unable to stop his own tears.

"I'm so sorry," Dex cried, "I'm sorry."

"You didn't do anything..." Keefe replied, his voice muffled by Dex's sweater.

"You didn't deserve that, you..." Dex was interrupted by his own sobs, unable to finish his sentence.

Keefe shushed him. "It's alright, Dizznee."

"I was so worried." Dex savored Keefe's warmth, only then appreciating it for how precious it was.

Both of their shoulders were soaked by the other's tears at that point. They sat there in the midst of the forest, huddled against each other. The tears eventually slowed enough for them to talk properly, but they didn't hold on to each other any less tightly.

Keefe stayed silent, though Dex noticed that he was trembling and that goosebumps had spread across his skin.

"Are you cold?" Dex asked, already beginning to remove his sweater, which he had worn over a white button-down.

"No, Dizznee, I'm... fine," was what he said, but he accepted Dex's sweater anyway. It was a bit small, but it warmed him up, which he greatly appreciated.

"Thank you," he said, not meeting Dex's periwinkle eyes.

"Do you need to stay at my place?" Dex asked.

Keefe said, "I'm fine right here, no worries," but his smile seemed forced.

"Just come with me for a little bit. Please?" Dex held out a hand.

Keefe took it, standing up shakily. Dex walked out of the forest with him, hand in hand. He was careful to match Keefe's pace, as he didn't want to rush him.

Once they arrived at Dex's house, the first thing that Dex did was give Keefe a change of clothes. He had chosen an oversized shirt that he had stolen from his dad, along with some of the baggiest sweatpants that he could find.

Once Keefe had changed, Dex gave him some water and a cookie that his siblings had baked (and started a small fire with).

Right then, they were unsure of what would happen or where Keefe would go. Despite this, they both knew that the other would help them in every way possible.

~. * ✾ * .~. * ✾ * .~. * ✾ * .~. * ✾ * .~. * ✾ * .~

CINNAMON FLOWERS

WRITTEN BY QFFECTIONATE

INSTAGRAM: @rosyblight

PINTEREST: @honeysickness

PICSART: @deathofjules

Short chapter again, but hey, who have I got to disappoint? One part left...