Chapter 9 - Nightmares

Iris POV

Once I get back home I quickly strip out of my clothes only putting on a long t-shirt before dropping face first into bed.
For what feels like hours sleep eludes me. Leaving me to toss and turn in bed trying not to drown in the emotions of the day. Every fiber of my being drained to the point of numbness yet overwhelmed to the point of restlessness. It's only when my dog jumps onto my bed and lays half on top of me, making me feel protected and safe, that I'm able to let go.

*Dream*

I see fragmented images flash in front of my eyes. A panicked girl running up to me and speaking in a incomprehensible language that somehow I can understand.
A creature that looked like a mix between a wolf and a dragon.
A man with buzz cut hair, hard empty pools for eyes and a scar that ran all the way from his eyebrow to his ear. Indescribable images of a fight fly by in quick succession jumping from person to person until no one is left standing but a young man with light hair and kind eyes as well as a young woman with two different coloured eyes one silver and one gold, her hair reverting back from a greyish to a dark brown, while her hand puts pressure to her side as it bleeds. Tattoos made of light slowly fade into an olive skin tone. The image drains into nothingness but words echo in my head.
"What's a soulmate?" It asks.
"I would have been honoured to be your soulmate!" The sadness weighting the voice down making me spiral with it. Only to be lurched forward as I see stars around me illuminating the small capsule I find myself in. I blink and I can hear my voice panic as I see myself rapidly being pulled towards a planet. The speed the capsule is traveling causes my head to spin and my vision to fill with white dots. So I close my eyes trying to contain the nauseous feeling rumbling in my chest.
When I finally open them I see myself (Iris) in the mirror one gold eye and one silver, my short hair looks a different colour than my own. I stare at myself in shock until my reflection moves on it's own and screams. "Wake up Gaia!"

*End of dream*

I jolt awake rubbing my tired eyes. The name Gaia bounces around in my head as I try to puzzle together the dream I just had but every time I reach for the fragments they slide through my fingertips never allowing me to take a hold of them. Only image I can form in my head is of the young girl that weirdly resembles me. Her eyes stare right through me as if she knows my soul but I'm unable to hold her gaze. A fog descends upon the girl before she disappears entirely and I force myself to open my eyes.

I push myself up to my feet and stagger to the bathroom I don't even bother turning the light on the light from the street partially illuminating my skin and as I raise my eyes to my reflection I see dichromic eyes that almost seem to glow staring back at me. I gasp in surprise startled and take a step back. I blink hoping for things to go back to normal but nothing changes. I shake my head and walk back to bed telling myself that I have to be dreaming still.

I sit on the side of my bed opening the drawer from my night stand and taking the bottle of pills I've had to take since I can remember. They're supposed to help me but sometimes it feels like they change something deep within me.
I put them back down and lay against my pillows, staring up at the ceiling. My pups shift next to me moving closer as if to comfort me.

Sleep doesn't come easily after that and by the time I fall back into it the sun is already starting to peek over the horizon.

A restless hour of sleep is all I can accomplish before I give up and get up. I decide to take a shower before proceeding with my morning routine and leave for the day.