Chapter 2 - Books and stares

Iris POV

I had been checking the book titles picking up the ones that caught my attention when I felt a presence behind me, I looked over my shoulder to see the blonde girl. I gave her an amused smile  accompanied by a raised eyebrow and got a shy one in return.
I turned my attention back to the books running my fingers along some of the spines. I saw her coming to stand by my side, out of the corner of my eye. I glanced at her curiously and saw her stare at my hand that was now stopped on top of one of the books, she didn't move or said anything. I shrugged it off and continued what I was doing.
Some minutes later I felt eyes on me. I shifted slightly and glanced at where the girl had been standing, she was staring at me. I tilted my head slightly and raised an eyebrow she spoke in a shy and small voice.
"Hi."
I studied her for a few seconds surprised she talked to me.
"Hey" I said but it sounded more like a question then a greeting.
We just stood there looking at each other. Now that we were closer I could see the constellation of freckles adorning her face.
Gesturing to door I made a wordless question. She nodded in answer and followed me outside.
I stopped a few steps after walking through the doors that lead to the backyard. I looked around searching for familiar faces. My brother was playing soccer with a few of my cousins and their friends. They were pretty much the only people I recognized so I shifted my attention back to the girl. She was already looking at me, she seemed to be studying me. She turned so she was facing me and seemed like she was about to talk but movement behind her caught my attention. When I saw what it was I moved on instinct pulling her towards me and out of the way. She stumbled not expecting my sudden move.
I looked at my brother annoyed with his lack of care. He noticed me glaring at him and flinched shouting an apology getting an eye roll from me. I huffed in annoyance but let it go for now.
I refocus my attention back on where it had been before finally noticing how close we actually were. Her hands were resting on my biceps, my left arm was around her back protectively, I could feel her warm breath ghosting across my face. I stiffened when I realized our faces were only centimeters apart. I immediately let go of her and raised my hands in front of me.
"Sorry" I said shyly taking a step back from her. She didn't react for a few seconds her eyes unfocused and her face flushed red. A few moments later she came out of her trance like state, blinking twice she looked down at me. I heard her mumble something under her breath that I couldn't quite understand. I raised an eyebrow curiously, yet again this gesture was becoming and habit around her, but I chose to leave it be.
"Are you okay?" I tried again.
My only answer was a nod. She looked away.
"Do you want a drink?" I couldn't shake the feeling I made her uncomfortable so I was trying to make up for it.
"Sure" she answered wearily glancing at me just to look away again.
I started moving toward the table where the drinks were and asked over my shoulder.
"What would you like?" I turned around to look at her. She quickly looked away mumbling again and turning a shade of pink leaving me confused.
"I wonder if I did something wrong" I thought to myself failing to ignore the wave of uncertainty that hit me.
She was silent for a few seconds so I turned back around continuing towards the table. When we reached it she finally looked back at me to give me an answer.
"A pineapple Fanta please"
I scrunched up my nose slightly I was never a fan of carbonated drinks. I filled up a cup and turned around to hande it to her offering a half smile along with the cup. She slowly took it out fingers brushing and lingering for a heartbeat before she pulled away. The touch sent a tingling sensation up my arm. I frowned that's a first that wasn't supposed to happen unless.... I shook my head to dismiss the thought along with the feeling. Looking back up I found the golden eyes noticing for the first time the brown and black freckles in them. Her eyes turned mischievous. I gave her a questioning look in return.
Unexpectedly she smirked at me far from the shy girl that had initially approached me. I blushed and reverted to my usual shy self. That smirk was way too attractive.
"Thanks" her words sounded sincere making me unsure if she was thanking me for the drink or for earlier maybe even both.
We stood there studying each other in silence. I noticed how different her demeanor was, she seemed the opposite from before. Gone was the shy girl, in her place was this confidently at ease girl. On the other hand I was feeling shy not that it was unusual for me, that along with the fact she was absolutely gorgeous, was leaving me a huge mess.
A male voice from our side broke the tension between us.
"There you are babe! Let's go" he grabbed her hand causing her to look away her eyes showing something that looked like reluctance but then again that might just have been my imagination.
She looked back over her a shoulder offering me a wink and a smirk as she left me behind.

~~~~~~~~
A.N.
Let me know if you're enjoying the book and if I should continue it
Also I was considering alternating between their points of view let me know if that's something you'd be interested in seeing
Thanks for reading