Chapter 4 - Drive

Íris' POV

We drove in a comfortable silence for a while, the radio playing music in the background. I was looking at the road but would glance at the blonde now and then. Suddenly her voice shattered the thoughts starting to form in my head as well as the silence. "What was your childhood like?" My head turned in her direction finding her eyes already on me. I looked out of the window, memories assaulting me, turning me again into a frightened little girl. I closed my eyes trying to shut them out as I had so many times before. "I can't tell her the truth. She probably won't even believe me. What would I even tell her? That I have no idea of where I came from? That I spent most of my life in a military base being tested again and again until I collapsed from exhaustion or simply blacked out, being pushed further each time. I never understood why they chose me but I learned not to ask after a while. I didn't like the consequences of being inquisitive. I was trained even tortured, all for what? What was the point in it? After some time I've become numb to the abuse of most of the soldiers. The few in charge of keeping me out of trouble saw me as a freak, as something disgusting yet I felt that I was just like everyone else. Even tho I never got an answer to what made me different I knew from a young age that I am. They made sure of it. Sneaking out and running away, somehow managing to get  out without being found, after growing tired of  the endless abuse, was still one of my best decisions I ever made! I loath the actions I had to take after it to survive not that I had an actual choice considering I was barely above 14, which meant I had no actual way to earn money making it impossible for me to buy food or any other necessity let alone having enough to travel. Stealing to survive wasn't something I wanted to do although I was good at it how could I not be? I was a very well trained soldier nothing more then a number. I can't believe some random guy managed to recognise me even through my multiple disguises! He would have gotten me too if it wasn't for the owner of a small vegetable's  that called a policeman that had been in a small pastry's shop a couple of stores down the street. That police officer saved my life not only on that day but every day since. Being the first person to ever protect me and care for me. The old man got me on the system yet he also got me out of it. To this day I still don't know how he never gave up on me, not even when I kept getting in trouble at the orphanage for being in fights with the older kids. He still understood that I was doing what I saw as right, telling me that he was proud of me for defending the other kids. I hated the descrimination we faced either because we were new, weaker or simply because we were different in any way. I didn't mind getting trouble despite the adults getting incredibly mad at me. Fifteen years old me breaking one of our guardian's arm sent them into a rampage. Forget the fact that he had been abusing some of the girls not that they believed me when I tried to tell them. Making myself a target might not have been the best idea but it got the job done, I earned the proof I needed, unknowingly earning my freedom in the process. Being taken in by a family in spite of them not being the most loving still felt leagues better then what I used to have! I can't say I was ever treated the same way as their kids yet it was still an improvement." I was so lost in my past that I didn't even notice the car wasn't moving anymore or that I had brought my knees up to my chest trying to make myself as small as possible. A soft hand touched mine yanked me out of the black hole I was caught on stopping me from spiralling down any further. I refused to look away from the window simply answering. "I didn't have one." I watched the people walk by. "Did I say something wrong?" Her soft voice broke a little sounding uncertain yet still managing to pull me out of my trance. "No you didn't! I'm sorry!" I sighed heavily before adding. "It just wasn't the best time of my life!" "Still I went back to the army just to end their search for me." I shook my head in a dismissive gesture. "Don't go there." "Anyway what was yours like?" Our gaze met for the first time since we got in the car. She looked concerned causing her brows to furrow and her lips to purse. "It was nice..." I blinked twice not saying a word. My head tilted to the side as I attempted to read the blonde. "I'm glad!" I let out even if I wasn't entirely sure of what I should say. I mentally facepalmed as I realize I haven't told her where I live. "Are you sure you're okay?" The gorgeous light haired girl asked. Schooling my features into an emotional mask I nod emphatically. "Yeah I am!" "Liar!" I thought to myself. A tight sad smile made it's way to my face but when her hand found mine giving it a comforting squeeze it turned genuine. "This girl is too freaking sweet for this world." "Shall we go?" I gave her my address prompting her to get us back on the way. The music flowing from the radio filled the car creating a relaxed atmosphere that settled around us. Unconsciously I started humming getting the beautiful blonde to glance at me before starting to sing. "She actually has a really good singing voice!" I muse unable to pull my eyes from her stunned at how gorgeous she is. A smile etched itself into my face. "This girl is something else!" A chuckle escaped my lips leading her attention to me and away from the road. "What?" Her laughter was like a melody I've been searching for my whole life. I chose not to respond starting to sing instead. She sent a glance my way as she licked her lips.
A few minutes of us singing and laughing later we arrived at our destination. I was feeling lighter then I felt in a long time. We both remained seated content grins showing on our features. We stayed like that for some time just taking each other in. "Well I should go." I announced breaking the moment. The golden eyed girl immediately deflated. I felt a pang in my chest as I saw her crestfallen expression. "Or maybe you want to come inside?" The British girl's face brightens up at this. "I would love to!" The expression she was wearing made me question how it was possible for someone to be so adorable. "Is it bad that I want to keep making her smile?" I wondered as I exited the BMW walking up to my front door. As I pushed the door open I looked over my shoulder catching my guest shuffling in place, looking hesitant. I turn around to face her. "Is everything alright?" The golden haired beauty shot me a rushed nod accompanied by a half smile. Moving inside the house I took off my shoes. "Sorry if it's messy I just moved here a couple weeks ago." The blonde slowly closed the door behind her. I took in my drenched clothes. "Is it okay if I go shower?" Opening and closing her mouth before blushing the golden eyed girl cleared her throat. "Humhum yeah! Go right ahead!" "Make yourself at home." I turned my back to the girl as I started to move to the bathroom in my room removing my hoodie as I went. As I was about to open the backyard door for the dogs to come back in I remembered my guest. "I should ask if she's okay with the dogs walking around." I walked back to the living room finding the freckled faced girl still standing where I had left her while studying her new surroundings. "Are you alright?" I must have startled her if her reaction is anything to go by. "Oh yeah! I'm fine." Her golden gaze fell on me, pink spreading along the constellation of freckles adorning her beautiful features. "Take a seat if you want." The light haired beauty hurriedly moved in the direction of the couch. I chuckled amused. "Why is she acting so nervous?" Remembering what I came to ask I moved closer to the couch causing her eyes to follow me. "By the way is it alright if I let the dogs walk around freely?" "Yes! It's your house after all." Nodding I walked to the back of the house opening the door getting attacked by two very excited dogs. Laughing at their silliness I spared a few minutes to calm them down so I can allow them to follow me back to the blonde. They trailed behind me, Ferdi the lighter of the two walked by my side licking my left hand while Princess ran ahead. A heart melting giggle met my ears causing me to smile. At the living room I was met with the sight of the gorgeous golden haired girl being assailed by kisses dissolving into fits of giggles. "Too damn cute." "Princess down!" I ordered the Pitbull to which she obeyed running to meet me. Ferdi calmly yet happily walked up to the girl nudging her to demand his share of petting. "Is it alright if they stayed with you while I shower?" Her lively orbs met my dark ones allowing me to fully appreciate the shade of red blossoming on her cheeks. "Yeah it's fine." Giving her a thankful smile I once again walked to my room making it to the bathroom and turning on the shower in order for the water to heat up while I got ready to get in. I took off the remaining of my wet clothes putting them on the empty basket. I took a moment to adjust the temperature of the water and turning on some music before jumping in. The warm water did wonders to my tense muscles relaxing them as well as washing away any remaining mark my memories had left on me. Letting the water run down my body for a full minute embracing it's warmth and keeping it within me, chasing away the cold of my past, as I get out. I put on some sweatpants along with a tank top and walked through the house the sound of laughter echoed around me. I stopped as I took in the moment in from of me. My dogs were laying one on the floor his head resting on top of the blonde's feet while the other was resting her head on the girl's lap being a drama queen whenever the petting stopped. I grabbed the camera resting on the table by the door a grin lighting up my face as I took a picture. I put the camera back down, finally making my presence known. "I see you have their blessing' to be here." My comment lifted the silence that had established itself in my absence. An adoring smile was turned my way. "Oh my god! They're so cute and sweet!" Her eyes were sparkling in a way I haven't seen before. "Yeah they are." I made my way to them crouching down to run my hand to Ferdi fur. My brown orbs met astonishingly golden ones vibrantly illuminated by her emotions. "This is how she should always look! Happy and at peace! She's so cute when she looks like this!" I got up sitting on her unnocupied side causing Princess to move and settle between us. Chuckling I left a kiss on her head being awarded with enthusiastic ones all over my face. "That's enough you silly girl!" I turned my head to the side catching the girl staring at me. "Alright?" I asked simply. "Want anything to drink or eat?" Shaking her head she said. "Not right now. Thank you!" "Want to watch something?" Leaving the question hanging in the air since I don't know what she likes to do. "Hell I don't even know her name!" I reminded myself." A movie is fine." I was cut off my line of thinking but nodded anyway. "You can choose." I handed her the remote keeping my eyes on her. The British beauty stared at screen for a few seconds before turning her gaze on me. "Do you have a favourite type of movie?" The question turned my lips into a light hearted smile. "Yeah I love horror movies specially psychological thrillers." "Humm.... I do like them but I'm not very good with horror." The golden haired girl seemed to shrink in her seat, stammering slightly. "We can watch something else." I tried reassuringly. A look of determination took over her features. "No it's fine! What's your favourite one?" Studying the stunning girl for a bit I answered. "I have more then one but if I had to choose my all time favourite it would be Split." The girl with the constellations on her face and stars in her eyes looked puzzled as she read the description and studied the image alongside it. Glancing at me she stated. "Okay! Let's watch it!" "Sure but only if we watch yours after." She beamed at me. "Deal!"
As the movie started my undivided focus went to it. Even tho I have seen the movie multiple times I never get of the story. After a while I felt the girl's eyes on me. Turning my head to her I questioned. "Is everything alright?" This made her look away from me. "Humm... Yeah sorry!" I tilted my head to the side. "Are you enjoying the movie?" Peeking at me quickly the starry eyed blonde nodded hastily. "Yeah it's good!" "Who do you like  most so far?" Looking panicked for a second the dark blonde haired girl shrugged. "It's hard to say!" Her eyes stayed forward, glued to the TV. "I think her!" Her little outburst caused my gaze to travel back to the screen, taking in what was happening a smirk crept to my face. "Keep watching! It gets better!" A curious glance was thrown my way and as we both turned back to the movie a comforting feeling grew on my chest. As I was distractedly petting Princess I felt her hand rest on mine before giving it a small squeeze. Butterflies awoken in my stomach starting to dance with the others, this feeling knocked me out of my thoughts. My orbs landed on the stunning British girl but hers remained fixed in front of her. I interlaced our fingers while resting my head on the cushion behind me. I closed my eyes for a moment enjoying the warmth of her hand on mine. I snapped back to the present when a thought occurred to me. "I still don't know her name!" "I know this will probably sound weird but I never caught your name." "Shit!" The girl exclaimed. "I keep meaning to tell you ...  but then I get distracted..." The last part was mumbled shily while a pink colour rose up to her ears. "I'm Samantha but you can call me Sam." "I'm Íris." I answered back. We stared at each other as I repeated her name in my head. "The name fits her really well." I was the first to look away. "Oh the best part is about to start!" I pointed out excitedly. I giggle bubbled from Sam but I kept my attention on the story unfolding before us.
The rest of the movie went by and as it ended I took notice of the fact our hands were still locked together. My face heated up yet I didn't pull away. "Should we watch another one or should I go?" Samantha asked her golden gaze met my own. Shrugging I said. "Your choice." Peeking at the clock on the wall her face turned pensive. After a minute or so I was given an answer. "I want to watch another if that's okay with you." I've never seen her so unsure. My eyes softened. "Yeah that's fine."
One movie turned into two which turned into three. The night kept going like that between movies and conversation. While we were watching the 4th movie I looked at Sam's face noticing she had fallen asleep. Turning off the movie I softly lifted her head off my shoulder and picked her up gently. I took her to my room softly setting her on my bed and covering her sleeping body. I moved her around the room as silently as possible grabbing a pillow and a comforter so I could set up on the living room to sleep. I looked at the beautiful girl and put the things I had gathered down at the feet of the bed. I lightly brushed the hair off her face before kissing her forehead.
After I got myself and the living room ready for me to sleep. I laid down my dogs cuddling with me. I finally allowed sleep to take over me and I as left the awaken world  behind the smile remained on my face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you for all the reads. I'll try to keep updating as much as possible. If you're enjoying the story please consider leaving a vote and/or a comment.
I have been writing another story if you guys are interested in reading it please let me know.