Fabulous Brother

The first thing I notice when I open my eyes is the harsh red light coming from what appears to be some sort of emergency lighting on the ceiling.

I'm a little surprised that there's electricity given how rundown it is.

Taking a few moments to adjust to the new lighting, I take a quick glance at my surroundings. There's some bookshelfs and a TV on one wall, a faded blue couch on another, and a washer and dryer on the other.

This place isn't too bad. It's a little dusty and old, but it's safe, secure, and has a soft spot to sleep.

I see Papyrus sitting on the couch reading a book. Looking closer, I can see that it's a book on puzzles. As to be expect of a Papyrus.

"He's the best puzzle solver I know," Sans says. It's easy to see that he adores his brother.

Papyrus hasn't noticed us yet, which is good because it gives me some time to check this place out and collect myself.

Taking a peek behind me, I snort when I see what Sans did to block the entrance to the basement.

'What's so funny, gramps?' Sans asks me in a mock serious tone.

'Sans, you literally have like a 3ft wall of bones in the way.' I reply mentally, making sure to project my thoughts so he can hear it

'Well, I had...' Sans is interrupted by a small body ramming into our legs.

Looking down, I see Papyrus has wrapped his tiny little arms around our legs. Guess I should have been more careful with my snorting.

I move my arm out to the side so the backpack we brought isn't in his way.

"SANS YOU'S BACK. I THOUGHT YOU'S NEVER COMING BACK." He cries, looking up at me with tears in his eyes.

Shit what do I do? 'Just act natural gramps,' Sans reminds me while giving me a mental shove.

I drop the backpack onto the floor before also removing the one on our back and putting it on the floor to, leaving just Sans' bag resting on our hip.

I kneel down in front of Papyrus and pull him into our arms, giving him a giant hug.

"Oh, kid, I'm so sorry. I went out for supplies like normal. but this time, I found enough supplies to get us out of here." I tell him gently. I never want to see him upset hes to precious.

I pull back from the hug and place my hands on his shoulders. He looks up at me, excited.

"We can finally leave this place." I smile brightly at him, hoping I've cheered him up a bit.

"REALLY!? YOU MEAN IT SANS?" He says, shaking with excitement.

'Look at him. My adorable little bro,' Sans says, smiling softly.

"Yeah, I do. We'll rest for tonight, and then tomorrow, we'll start heading out." I laugh at his excitement, glad to see some joy in this hell pit.

Papyrus dashes forward, hugging me again before pulling away. He starts running all over the place, saying goodbye to all the books and stuff in the room.

"Goodbye TV goodbye box of Legos goodbye book of puzzles goodbye oddly shaped stain on the wall." he nearly knocks over the table in front of the couch with all of his running

'Yeah, he is adorable,' I tell Sans smiling softly, 'cutest kid in the world.'

I stand up, pick up both backpacks, and walk over to the couch. Dropping both bags beside the couch, I flop back onto it and let out a quiet sigh.

'Tired gramps?' Sans jokes, but I can feel the underlying worry in the question.

'A little, but I'll be alright,' I say honestly. As long as Sans is here, we can figure it out together.