ten: therapy

"Its been about 7 minutes," Diane speaks

"Its been about 7 minutes," Diane speaks. Andy and Jack have both talked highly about her in between going to calls. I just sat and listened to both of them. What was, am I supposed to say? Oh that's great but I'm good. I'm fine. I'm clearly not fine and Andy obviously wants me to talk. I'm not talking to her so a shrink is the next option.

I've never seen a shrink before. When I used to go to school the school counselor would always pull me into his office and try to ask me questions about my home life. Though it never ever quite felt like a home. No where ever has.

"Y/n? You here?" Diane asks and I pick up my head. She sits eye level behind Captain Sullivan's desk. He was on a call. The whole team was except Warren. He's on desk duty and Emmet. Emmet's not the greatest firefighter, he's a little...sensitive.

"You're obviously thinking," Diane says getting up and walking towards me. My eyes follow her, watching every move. How does one expect to tell a complete stranger about my life story? I guess it would be better than to talk to someone I know. But again, I don't know.

The woman walks over and sits down in the chair beside me. She smiles lightly and crosses her leg over the other, giving me her full attention. I shake my head and drop my head.

"I'm sorry," I apologize. "I'm not good at this."

"Nobody's ever good at this," Diane gently says with a playful smile. "I've been counseling for a couple years and I'm still not good at it. I'm used to talking to firefighters, not teenagers but I'm told you were in a fire recently. Do you want to start there?"

I shrug. "I don't remember it." Which was truthful. "I wasn't awake. I didn't even know there really was a fire until I... I woke up in the hospital."

Diane nods. "That's what Andy's told me... But you obviously have some sort of connection with Andy too."

"She saved me," I say, keeping my voice low, my body small. I sit with my knees drawn to my chest. I bite the side of my cheek and advert my eyes off of the woman.

Her head nods slowly. "She did. Do you feel safe with her?"

I nod. "Mhm," I hum. "More so than anybody."

"That's a good thing to hear-" Diane pauses and points to something. I slowly follow where she points seeing my teddy bear. I shit slightly and tear my eyes away. "I assume that's yours."

I nod. "Yeah.. I thought I lost it in the fire but Jack got it back. Fixed it up a bit then gave it to me as a gift when we first met."

Diane smiles. "Well that's nice of him. Is that your favorite thing you own?"

I nod again. "My birth mother gave it to me." I sadly drop my head. My eyes slightly look at the bear and bite the corner of my lip.

"Do you remember your birth mother?"