Chapter 1

"I already told you, I don't know the name of the meal I want. But it has potatoes, corn, and chicken." The woman ordered over the phone.

"Yes, that describes multiple different menu items ma'am." I spoke, "Could you take a look at the online menu and call back? That way I can punch your order in correctly."

"No, just do your job."

I bit my lip, thankful this woman couldn't see my facial expression over the phone. I picked a random meal that sounded of the items she wanted, not bothering to ask how she would like the potatoes cooked. Bitch. I made the choice, giving her my least favourite type of potato. Boiled. "Alright, your food should be ready in twenty minutes. Can I get your name for the order?"

The woman gave me her name, which was Betty, and I hung up before I lost all self-control. The joys of customer service.

Despite customers like her, I tolerated this job well. I was a waitress for a local restaurant named Danny's Diner. If it wasn't for the tips, I would've worked in the kitchen away from the entitled assholes we call customers.

"Alora," my head snapped up at the sound of my name. "We've got a new-hire coming in a few minutes, you'll be training him tonight."

I sighed, "Does this one even know how to wait tables, Tory?" Most of the new employees Tory hired were the newest of the bunch. She liked to call it gifting opportunities, I'd call it a waste of my fucking time. Tory did the easy part while I always ended up training these newbys. I was young, nineteen, but had been working here since I was fifteen. I varied in working with very experienced old people to literal children, at least they acted that way.

"I would think three years of experience has taught me a thing or two." I deep voice spoke behind me.

I glanced at Tory wide-eyed, why hadn't she told me the man was here already?! I turned around before responding, "It's a genuine question."

Holy shit, this man was gorgeous. I focused on glaring into he brown eyes, instead of gaping at his godly sculpted features. His expression mimicked mine and the stranger's muscular arms crossed his chest.

"Theron," Tory welcomed the tall man, "This is Alora, she's been with us for several years. You will be shadowing her for tonight to get a proper idea of what the average shift looks like." She turned to address me, "Alora, I trust you will be efficient in training him. You know how to close shop and everything so I am not worried." She smiled, a slight warning behind her eyes. She was emphasizing that I be kind, silently.

Reluctantly, I nodded. Tory didn't often talk professionally like that with me unless we were in situations like these.

"Thank you, enjoy your baby shower, Tory." I waved as she made her way to the door, purse in-hand. Tory's wife was seven months pregnant with twins and the shower was tonight, I wish I could have went. But I understood her scheduling choices, I was a top employee and always worked hard.

It was a Tuesday night, meaning the rush would be non-existent. Perfect for training. I faced the man to find he was already staring at me.

"Several years of experience?"

"Several means four or more, sir. It shouldn't be that confusing."

Theron scoffed, "I know what several means. But isn't this child labour?"

I blinked, "I'm in university."

"First year?"

"Second". Why was I telling him these things? It's not like the man had earned the information. "What, did you drop out of college twenty years ago? I've heard as you get older, adults seem younger."

"I'm twenty-three and graduated top of my class."

"If you say so," I mumbled, walking to the drink station. I collected two glasses and handed one to the man beside me, "Do you know how to put ice in a cup, sir?" I bit my lip to hold back a devilish smile.

I could see Theron holding back a retort as he simply nodded, doing as I instructed. He towered behind me while I served a table their drinks, then took their food order. The restaurant was practically empty, with three tables in use. The bitch from earlier's food was done, so I had Theron package the food, then we stood at the front desk to wait for the bitter woman. I hadn't said much after that, neither did he. That is, until Betty showed up.

Theron flashed a stupidly attractive smile to the woman, who then collected the bag in her wrinkled hands after paying. She stood, opening the food in each container and she complained, "This isn't right. I've ordered take-out from here three times and each time you have gotten it wrong." Betty gave a frustrated sigh, "Live and learn, I guess."

I opened my mouth to apologize, when that was the last thing I desired to do. But Theron had already opened his big mouth, "But what did you learn? If you came here multiple times and each time it is incorrect, you didn't learn anything."

I squeezed my hands tightly behind my back, what the fuck was this guy doing?

She glanced up to the man, eyes deepening with something I couldn't place. "I suppose you're right." Was all Betty said, before collecting her meal and leaving the building.

My jaw dropped, "You can't say things like that."

"Why not?" Theron's head tilted to the side.

"Because there's a such thing as good customer service."

"She didn't seem to have a problem with it." The man dismissed, tucking a bill into his pant-pocket.

"Betty tipped you?!"

"If Betty is the woman we just spoke with, then yes, I believe she did."

My fists clenched. I never wanted a shit with Theron again, the man was infuriating.