Chapter 6

I hadn't went back to Jason's house in over a week and I was growing restless. I had never been gone this long and part of me was waiting for Jason to find me. He knew where I worked, he was friends with Tory. That is how I got the job. So, when Tory asked how her new employee—Theron—was adjusting, I held back the details of our situation.

"I was worried at first, you both seemed strong-headed but I'm happy to hear it hasn't complicated things." She smiled, "Right?"

I stood at her office door, ready to get back to my tables. "I mean, he can be annoying. But no complications, no."

I was a horrible liar. Tory just eyed me in skepticism. Living with Theron was definitely a complication, so was yearning for his touch. Ever since he'd seen my bruises, not one part of his heavenly body touched me. But k couldn't tell Tory any of this, she would innocently give the information up to Jason and I couldn't risk it.

"I should go check on my tables..." I padded to the front door, greeting Jessica—another waitress—because Theron wasn't scheduled for today. The man drove me to the diner, saying he didn't mind because he was heading this direction anyways. I wondered what he might be doing on this side of town, working? A date? I sighed, there was no way to know so I mine as well move on. Although I'd told myself that several times tonight and still couldn't get the man off my mind.

The ding of the door sounded as I punched in a table's earlier order into the computer. "Hello, how can I help—"

Theron... with a woman.

I swallowed harshly as his brow rose, "A table for two?"

The duo nodded, and I collected their menus. I was about to direct them to one of Jessica's tables because there was no chance I wanted to serve him and his girlfriend. Did she even know I was staying with him? Probably. He was a jackass, but an honest one. But then why did he kiss my thighs?

"We'll sit at that table," Theron spoke, already making his way to an area in my section.

I gave a tight smile, setting the menus down where he wanted, "I'll be right with you".

I steadily walked to my other customers, giving Theron and the girl a moment to look over the menu. Not that Theron needed it, he worked here with each dish practically memorized. I made their drinks and set both glass down, waitressing had become second-nature to me.

"Are you both ready to order, or should I come back in a few minutes?"

The girl who sat across from Theron talked first, asking for a bourbon burger. Damn, she couldn't have made it easy on me and order a salad, then at least I could hate her for it. Taking that moment to look at her, she really was beautiful. She had short blonde hair that fanned around her features, green eyes, and wore a floral romper.

"What about you, sir?" To the outside eye, he looked at ease. But my formality caught Theron off-guard. I knew it would. It wasn't an accident I called him 'sir', like when we first met.

I scribbled both of their orders and began striding to the kitchen.

"Alora," I faced the voice. Jessica. "You've got a new table."

I bit my lip, holding back a groan as I retraced my steps. If it wasn't for my tunnel vision over Theron, I would have noticed the three men in my section.

"Hi, could I get you guys something to start off with?" I smiled.

"How about your number?" The group scanned my body from head to toe. Despite the fact I was fully clothed, I felt completely naked.

Whenever people like this requested for my contact information, I gave them a fake number. They don't realize it until after, so I got better tips. I wasn't even going to defend myself, it was shallow. But that was what I did to survive. Today, I didn't feel like surviving. "Thank you for asking, but not today." Switched the topic, I added, "Now, would you like anything to drink?"

"We'd all like beers." He leaned forward, "What about you? If you're thirsty I could give you something by to suck on."

Large hands gripped my waist from behind and before I could react, Theron's recognizable voice growled, "Say that again, I dare you."

The table went quiet, fear evident on their faces. I was frozen still.

"If you want to live, I suggest you apologize to your kind waitress,"

The stranger's eyes went wide before sputtering, "Sorry, I'm sorry, I swear."

"All three of you," Theron commanded, "Leave a generous tip and find a different place to dine. Now."

The group obeyed. One of them slapped ten dollars on the table, but quickly added more cash as Theron glared in disapproval.

I turned to face the man whose hands remained rested on my waist, "You didn't have to do that. And why are you touching me, your girlfriend is over there." I hated the fact I sounded so snooty, but I didn't know how else to react. He had just stood up for me, with no ulterior motive. I've never had someone continuously show kindness towards me. "Did you—did you want the tips?" I grabbed the money.

"Alora," The man's tongue poked his cheek, "That woman—my sister—is a realtor. I thought Taylor could find me the safest but cheapest options for you." He paused, "And no, that money is yours."

I chewed on my lip, gaze shifting from Theron to Taylor. Now I could see the resemblance. I opened my mouth, closed it again. I was such an idiot.

"I didn't think you were the jealous type," He cocked a brow, amused.

"What? I'm not." I lied, "I have to get back to work, Theron. Unlike you, I'm not okay with slacking on the job."

The man chuckled, but released me, walking back to his seat.