Chapter Two

I wanted to ask more questions like 'What was our schedule like? What kind of freakishly gruesome training were we going to go through that was going to make some people drop out? And more importantly, if the scary lady in the black jumpsuit would be our cabin head instead?"
The next thing I knew, I was in a large room with nine other girls and we all stared blankly at each other still recovering from Miss Izzaline's abrupt personality change.
"So this is awkward." A girl with her brown hair in a high ponytail decided to break the silence. "I'm Jenny and I just wanted to say it's nice to know I'm not going to be the only one with our angel of a cabin head.....oh and my ability is duplication by the way." She stepped back and made a copy of herself. "See, now I'm twice as cute."
"I'm Harley and my ability is earth. I'd love to show you guys but we're inside. So I'm gonna just save it for later."The red head in twin braids said and put down her bags."My name's Sarah and I'm a telepath so I pretty much know what you all are thinking." The girl in glasses standing in front of me said with a smile.
"Good to know weirdo. I'm Bethany. My magical type is Kirn and I specialize in archery." Bethany was a long haired brunette with a fair skin. "Hello, I'm Brie, fun to be with, a very loveable person and..."
"Hey loveable, get it over with." Jenny's clone interrupted. "My ability is plants. I grow plants." She said with a quick breath, a little embarrassed.

'I think I and Jenny will get along just fine.'

"I'm Amity and my ability allows me to control the weather with my emotions." The small bodied girl let out in a british accent. "Don't worry, with my cooking ability, you'll be rainbows and sunshine all day long. I'm Sasha and I live to serve."
"If your ability is cooking, how are you supposed to train with the rest of us?" Harley asked with a furrowed brow. "I'm actually an exchanged student from a culinary school. My parents want me to learn a thing or two about poisons and antidotes." She answered with a shrug."Noted." Harley let out with a chuckle.
"Hello, I'm Nessa and my ability is levitation." I said with a small smile. Jenny and her clone then came rushing at me and begged me to levitate them.
I levitated both of them off the ground and they kept screaming like crazy. It was funny at first until Jenny kept making more copies of herself, forcing me to lift about twenty copies in different corners of the room at the same time.
I dropped her and she immediately dismissed her clones as she landed on a girl who was yet to introduce herself. "Get off me." She said in a bitter tone. "I can't get off someone with an unknown name and ability. Name and ability please?"
"Get off." She repeated somehow sounding more bitter than before. Jenny grinned and repeated her question "Name and..." Jenny didn't get to finish her sentence because the girl knocked her off as she stood up to her feet with force.
"You're annoying aren't you?" She asked in a blank expression. "Very." Jenny replied with a smirk from her place on the floor. "It's Bailey." She said as she helped lift her to her feet.
"And my ability's ice." She smirked as she froze Jenny's body in an ice cube, neck down through the contact made with her grip on her hand. "Y-you." Jenny chivered in disbelief. "I like you better in an ice cube." Bailey added with a smile.
"I'm Vinna and my ability is fire." The tanned skinned girl with charcoal black hair said as her right palm engulfed in flames.
"My apologies Bailey. It's only fair I use my ability this way." With that, Vinna melted Jenny free. One minute I'm laying comfortably in bed at home and the next I'm sharing a cabin with nine people. This should be fun.

The next morning, we were woken up by an alarm activated by Miss Izzaline that ached my eardrums till they almost bled. Then we rushed through bath time and got dressed quickly because we were unsure if she would activate the death alarm again.
We were having breakfast in the dining hall when an enormous portal violently sucked every one in. In a second I joined the heap of girls on the other side of the portal and groaned in pain.

'What's really terrifying is the feeling that I should get used to this.'

As we miserably got off each other, Miss Izzaline walked gracefully through a portal with a plain face. "Ok first years. You made it through breakfast... congratulations." My eyes widened at her words and I asked myself if the death alarm had made me deaf.

'She can't possibly mean that. Right?'

"Today's activity will be to test your strength and senses. You all are currently in an unexplored area the Elves responsible for ecological preservation loaned to us for this activity and you and I both know how messed up nature can get." "So, what are we supposed to do?" A girl from cabin two asked. "Easy, hunt and kill a beast." She replied with a shrug.
We all gasped in shock at what she had just said. "I'm sorry,what?" Jenny asked with furrowed brows. "You can't be serious." Sasha added. "Not only does that sound ridiculous but you do realize this is an unexplored area and you want us to wander around and kill beasts that we have no information or knowledge about." A girl from cabin two let out.
"Miss Ella did say not everyone would have what it takes. If you think you can't, allow me to send you back home." She paused like she wanted an answer and narrowed her eyes at the silence. "Yeah, I thought so. I'll be waiting for you on the other side of the island. You have a hour by the way."
She scanned through our faces making sure the message sunk into our brains. "Area Beast, hunt down your beasts."

A Kirn is a magical creature gifted with the extraordinary skills of a hunter. They are marked with a tattoo of a weapon from birth, a weapon that they would naturally specialize in and right now, following Bethany was my best bet to actually have a shot at this.

"Do you mind if I tag along?" I asked as I struggled to keep up with her. "As long as you're quiet, I really don't care". Bethany said not even sparing me a glance and I just watched her listen and prepare her bow and arrow. We stayed silent for about ten seconds before she shot three arrows into the trees and a deer with scales staggered out.
My eyes widened in shock at how good she was at this. She readied an arrow again and sent it flying into its head. "Don't be amazed. I didn't actually train for this like every other magical." Bethany said blanky. I nodded realizing she was referring to the fact kirns didn't actually have to train to be skilled in weapons.
"Come on, we need to find a beast for you." "What?" I said pulling myself out of a short trance. "That is why you followed me right?" She asked with a raised brow. "Maybe." I said avoiding her eyes. She gave a small chuckle at my reaction before she paused. "Wait, something's not right. Nessa get down!"
She pushed me down as fire blazed through the trees that stood where I was before. "What the hell?" I yelled as I stood up from the floor and pulled Bethany up."Looks like your beast decided to track us instead." Bethany said as she positioned her arrow. "Now levitate that beast so I can get a shot at it."
............

The beast's long fangs and claw like teeth dug into the ground as it fell to the forest's floor after what felt like hours of me levitating it while Bethany repeatedly shot at. "Nessa, it's not dead yet, you have to keep it up a little longer." She said for the thousandth time.
I panted heavily with very little strength as my hands ached. "Not everyone is a natural born hunter." I said panting for breath. "I don't have time for this. I'm going to submit my beast. Since you helped with this one, I'll leave you to it." She said lifting the scaled deer on her shoulders and left.
My eyes furrowed in confusion at her retreating back. "Bethany?, you're kidding right? Bethany?.... unbelievable." I spat as I ran my hands through my hair. "Whatever, I'll handle this....."
I paused at the sound of a growl and slowly turned around to see the beast on all fours and this time it looked like it was ready to rip out my skull. Not withstanding I completed my interrupted sentence with an entirely new perspective. "On my own."
I always knew I was going die a sad death but getting ripped to shreds by a beast after getting ditched definitely tops my expectations.

'Yup..... I'm so dead.'