Chapter Nine

Catherine drew her sword above Nessa and was about to send it down when a clashing sound struck after a dagger knocked the sword out of her hands.
"Easy Catherine. She's a first year." Miss Ella said as she lifted the body on the floor into her arms. Catherine hadn't even noticed Miss Ella because her level of stealth could escape the senses of a Kirn.
"I'm going to take her to the hospital." She said kicking Catherine's sword over to her. "Let me go with you." Catherine whispered loud enough for Miss Ella to hear. "No, you have a job to do." She replied in a blank tone. "That job almost killed an innocent first year. I got her into this...at least let me see her come out of it."
"Fine but we need to hurry. With these injuries she doesn't have much time."
.......
Miss Ella talked to the doctor about the first year's condition and Catherine couldn't help but ask if she was going to be okay.
"She'll be fine thanks to her healing ability. If not, she would have been long dead." Miss Ella thanked him before he left and signed a few papers to ensure the first year would be taken back to her cabin safe and sound.
"Miss Ella?" Catherine called as they were making their way out of the hospital. "That first year's ability is levitation. How can she suddenly have more than one ability?"
..........
"Mum...." I whispered before I slowly opened my eyes. Tears fell down my face when I remembered what had happened. I sat up and ignored the piercing agony in my stomach before sighing in relief to the fact that I wasn't dead.
Looking around, I realized I was on my bed in Cabin one. I felt weird.. really weird but I couldn't figure out what.

'Nessa, you almost died... of course you'll feel weird.'

I pulled up my shirt and my eyes dulled at the sight of my stomach wrapped in a bandage. Pushing the thought aside, I got up and got myself a glass of water. I was walking back to my bed when I realized the mirror I had just walked passed reflected the wrong image of me.
I slowly walked backwards, turned my head towards the mirror and let out a scream.

"Aaaah, my hair!"

I dared to touch my supposedly silver blonde hair that now had thick red streaks. In panic, I hurried to the bathroom and drowned my hair with whatever shampoo I could find before washing it off.
I tied my hair in a towel and walked up to the demon glass that started all this. "Please don't be there". I begged whatever force controlling my life and slowly pulled the towel down.

'Surprise surprise, shampoo did not wash off hair dye.'

My brows furrowed as I ran my hand through my hair. "How did this even happen?!" I yelled throwing my arms around. "Why universe, why me? One minute I have a sword in my guts and the next I'm waking up with red hair!"
"I have done nothing to deserve this.....my hair is all I have left of him." I whispered before blinking back the tears that were at the brink of falling.

'I need some air.'

           I put on black jeans, a simple top with a black hoodie to help cover my hair. I walked on the sidewalk as I traveled in my own thoughts. I quickened my steps when I caught people staring and whispering.
           Slowly, speed walking turned to running. I was running away like it would solve all my problems. I stopped running to catch my breath in the academy's park and heard a rustle behind one of the flower bushes.
         I fell to the ground in shock the moment a rabbit made up of only blood,flesh and veins jumped out of the bushes. I backed up and rubbed my eyes rigorously before looking again and this time, the rabbit was the typical fluffy adorable pet any sane magical would want to cuddle.

'I could have sworn... that's it. I'm going to lie down.'

If it was answers I wanted, there was no point in asking because clearly I wasn't in the right state of mind to understand anything for that matter.