Chapter 4: Leo et Rosa

Leo et Rosa ~ The Lion and The Rose

The gardens of the Red Keep were littered with people and talk filled the air. Performers roamed the aisles between the tables with people on stilts, blowing fire, acrobats, and much more. 

Oberyn, Ellaria, and yourself walked in together when Tyrion and Podrick began walking in front of you.

'Hello,' Oberyn called out to the acrobat.

'Hello,' Tyrion turned in response.

'Not you.' Oberyn didn't look at him once. You laughed a little and ran over to join Podrick following Tyrion. Your father and Ellaria continued to walk around the gardens while you stood to the left of the long table where Tyrion took his seat with Podrick. A group of men played music in attempt to entertain the king but soon after he yelled out 'Very good, very good. Off you go,' and threw a hand full of gold at them. 

Margaery's eyes locked with yours and she gave you a warm smile before calling you over to her. You said goodbye to Podrick for the moment as you approached where she and Joffrey sat. You bowed and greeted them properly.

'Please Princess, pull up a chair at the table,' Margaery insisted. You did as she asked and joined them.

Margaery turned back to Joffrey and whispered, 'My love, why don't we make the announcement?'

Joffrey stood up and everyone went silent to listen, 'Everyone. The would like to say a few words.'

All the people cheered before Magaery stood up, 'we are so fortunate to enjoy this marvelous food and drink. Not all among us are so lucky. To thank the Gods for bringing the recent war to a just end, King Joffrey has decreed that the left overs from our feast be given to the poorest in his city.' Everyone cheered and applauded while the music began to play again.

Before the next person approached the table you bid your goodbye's to Margaery and Joffrey. You circled around the front of the table and found where Podrick was standing. You looked around to see if anyone was watching and grabbed his hand and ran away from the feast, taking him with you. 

Once far enough away, you slowed down and began walking along the path that weaved through the gardens of the Red Keep. Even though you had only been in Kings Landing a short while, you found comfort in Podrick's presence.

Podrick kept looking behind him, seeming paranoid, 'Princess y/n. I'm supposed to be on duty, I don't think I can be here right now.'

'Oh come on Podrick, it's boring back there. Plus I really don't think Tyrion is going to mind or even notice.' Podrick finally agreed to walk around for few minutes before going back to the feast. Time past really quickly with him, and you had grown to be close friends. Podrick had you crying in laughter on your walk and you didn't want to go back but you both knew you had to.

You returned to the feast and joined your father and Ellaria walking around the grounds. The three of you were approached by Tywin and Cersei, both Oberyn and Ellaria put an arm around you as they drew closer. 

'Your Grace, Lord Tywin,' Oberyn called out.

'Prince Oberyn,' Tywin acknowledged in return.

'I don't believe you have met my daughter, y/n, or Ellaria. This is the Lord Hand Tywin Lannister and Cersei Lannister the Queen Regent. I suppose it is former Queen Regent now. Lord Hand and Lady Cersei, Y/n Martell and Ellaria Sand.'

You bowed your head slightly when Ellaria responded, 'My Lord, My Lady.' 

Cersei looked right past you and towards Ellaria, 'Can't say I've ever met a Sand before.'

The three of your smiles dropped, 'We are everywhere in Dorne. I have 10,000 brothers and sisters.'

Oberyn continued after Ellaria, 'Bastards are born of passion, aren't they? We don't despise them in Dorne.'

'No, How tolerant of you? And if that is true then why is it that you've only brought your one noble daughter with you today hmm?' Cersei questioned.

'Yes well, y/n is the unlucky one to bear all the burden since you people only recognise her in this city and not her sisters. I expect it is a relief, Lady Cersei, giving up your regal responsibilities. Wearing the crown for so many years must have left your neck a bit crooked.' You tried your best not to laugh while the adults were talking.

'I suppose you'll never know Prince Oberyn. It's a shame your older brother couldn't attend the wedding.'

Tywin finally joined the conversation, 'Please give him our regards. With any luck, the gout will abate with time he will be able to walk again.'

'They call it the rich man's disease. A wonder you don't have it,' you chimed in.

Tywin faced you, 'Noblemen in my part of the country don't enjoy the same lifestyle as our counterparts in Dorne.'

'People everywhere have their differences. In some places the highborn frown upon those of low birth. In other places the rape and murder of women and children is considered distasteful. What a fortunate thing for you, former Queen Regent, that your daughter Myrcella has been sent to live in the latter sort of place,' Oberyn's remarks were almost enough to end the conversation.

'Yes well, I still have another son, Prince Tommen left who happens to be Princess y/n's age. So maybe we can bring her into the captial.' Cersei smiled and left. You weren't sure whether your betrothal still stood after all this time and everything that has happened but never the less, there was no way you were going to marry a Lannister. 

Oberyn, Ellaria, and yourself made your way back to your seats when Joffrey yet again stood up to make another announcement. Your rolled your eyes before he even began speaking and Oberyn whispered, 'I wonder what the so called Golden Lion has in store for us now.'

'Everyone, silence! Clear the floor. There's been too much amusement here today. A wedding royal is not an amusement. A royal wedding is history. The time has come for all of us to contemplate our history. My Lords...' the servant men began to wind open the jaw to the makeshift lions head. 'My Ladies,' Joffrey continued as a red carpet rolled out and dwarfs dressed up began to run out. 'I give you King Joffrey, Renly, Stannis, Robb Stark, Balon Greyjoy. The War of the Five Kings.'

They all ran around and performed a mimicry of the war that had just happened. Joffrey was bursting out in laughter when you turned to look at Sansa. Her eyes appeared hollow and vacant as she looked into the distance. 

You all sat in shock at the scene ahead. You looked away and Oberyn shook his head in disappointment. Once the 'show' had concluded everyone stayed silent as a one sided argument went down between Joffrey and Tyrion until Magaery called out, 'Look the pie.'

Everyone began to cheer when Joffrey pulled out his new sword to cut the pie when out flew doves from the top of the pie.

'There's no way I'm eating that. There's got to be dead bird in there.' You said towards your father and Ellaria.

Magaery began feeding the pie to Joffrey when he called out, 'Uncle, serve me my wine.' After Joffrey took a sip of his wine, he began to gag and cough. Joffrey grabbed his chest and stumbled towards the steps in front of him.

'He's choking,' Magaery yelled out. People were all walking closer to the scene, and a low murmur could be hear throughout the crowd. You stood up from your seat to get a better look. Joffrey fell onto the ground and was squirming around on his stomach. You covered you mouth with your hand trying your best not to laugh. You knew it was wrong to laugh but you just couldn't help it. He had it coming for him and his gasping for air sounded comical. 

 Podrick walked up to from behind and whispers, 'You have to leave now if you want to go. Follow me.' Podrick grabbed your hand as you ran behind him, only the tips of your fingers touching. He lead you back to your room and called Dornish soldiers over to guard your room.

'Wait, don't leave me here alone Pod,' you called out.

Podrick walked back into your room and closed the door behind him.