Chapter 7: Vipera Rubra

Vipera Rubra ~ The Red Viper

That night after the first stage of the trial had come to an end your father said he had to go down to the dungeons to talk with Tyrion. You asked if you could join him but he said he didn't want you coming with him. After tediously asking him if you could come, Oberyn finally let you. You had just wanted to see Tyrion again and you knew the guards wouldn't let you in alone. 

'Cersei approached me,' Oberyn opened. The both of you taking a seat in front of Tyrion. 'We spoke a great deal about her sister. How worried your sister is about her. She was trying very hard to pretend she had not come to sway me against you. I think she may have even believed it herself. It was difficult for her to hide her true intentions. It is rare to meet a Lannister who shares our enthusiasm for dead Lannisters.' 

You laughed a little at his comment before your father continued, 'She desperately wants to see you killed.'

'She didn't need to bother you. It looks as though I've taken care of that myself. The joy she will feel when my head leaves my neck. She's wanted this for a long time.'

'Yes I know. You and I met, you know. Many years ago,' you hadn't heard Oberyn talk about this before. 

'I think I would have remembered that,' Tyrion was confused.

'Unlikely. You had just been born. Our father had brought me and my sister Elia with him on a visit to Casterly Rock. My first time away from Dorne. I didn't like anything about the Rock. Not the food, not the weather, not your accents. Nothing. But the biggest disappointment, you.'

'You and my family have more in common than you might admit,' Tyrion responded.

'The whole way from Dorne, all anyone talked about was the monster that had been born to Tywin Lannister. A head twice the size of his body, a tail between his legs, claws, one red eye, the privates of both a boy and a girl. When we met your sister, she promised she would show you to us. Every day we would ask, every day she would say soon. Then she and your brother took us to your nursery and... she unveiled the freak. You arms and legs a bit small, but no claw. No red eye. No tail between your legs. Just a tiny pink cock. We didn't try to hide our disappointment. "That's not a monster" I tried to tell Cersei, "That's just a baby." And she said "he killed my mother. Everyone says he will die soon. I hope they are right. He should not have lived this long."'

You had just listened quietly as your father spoke. You saw tears form in Tyrion's eyes.

'Cersei always gets what she wants sooner or later,' Tyrion was still looking at the floor.

'And what about what I want. Justice, for my sister and her children. 

Oberyn stood up and started walking around the cell, 'I've come to the perfect place for justice. I want to bring those who have wronged me to justice. And all those who have wronged me are right here. I will begin with Ser Gregor Clegane who killed my sister's children and then raped her with their blood still on his hands, before killing her too. I will be your champion.'

You stood up in disbelief immediately.

'Before you say anything, we will talk about this outside y/n,' your father said as you both walked out of the cell. 

'No! There's no way your fighting for his life. I like Tyrion but not enough to loose you. I won't let you do it.' Tears were welling up in your eyes now.

Oberyn bent down to your height and wiped them away with his hand, 'My mind is made up y/n. I'm sorry but you know I must do this. I must do this for Elia, for her children. For justice for House Martell.'

'But what about me,' you sobbed.

'I'll always be here for you. You know I won't die, I'm the Red Viper after all.'