Chapter 10: Harenae serpentes

Haranae Serpentes ~ Sand Snakes

When the night was getting late Tommen and yourself made your way back to main castle. Tommen began to walk you towards your own bed chambers before you stopped him. 

'It's our wedding night, aren't I supposed to stay with you?' You questioned.

'I didn't think you would want to so I didn't want to force anything on you,' Tommen replied looking into your eyes. You smiled at his response.

'Thank you Tommen, but I do think I should at least stay in your room so that Cersei doesn't suspect anything.' Tommen nodded and the two of you walked to his chambers hand in hand. 

You stood and looked around at grandeur of the room. His chambers were huge and adorned with opulent furnishings and rich fabrics, emphasising the Lannister wealth and power. The bed itself was an extravagant piece, draped in crimson and gold canopies, with the Baratheon stag proudly embroidered on the linens.

You were exhausted from the long day that you immediately took off the outer layer of your gown and lay onto the top of Tommen's bed. You felt Tommen's eyes on you but you just shrugged him off as you climbed into his bed. 

Soon after Tommen had gotten changed and jumped into the bed. He placed one arm behind his head and the other across the pillows. You turned over leaned your head on his chest before he enclosed his arm that was once on the pillows around you. 

------------------------

That next morning Tommen and yourself had been woken by the staff of the house. Tommen had left earlier than you to take a walk with his mother while you slept in longer. Later on in the morning your handmaid had entered the room to help you get ready for your breakfast with some of the other women of the castle. It had become important  for you to start getting to know the other nobles since you had been crowned Queen. 

You were sitting outside in one of the Red Keep's many courtyards talking with the other women when you heard footsteps coming closer behind you.

All the girls went dead silent as you looked behind you to see Cersei. 

You put on a fake smile and called out 'Mother. Welcome.' You went in for a hug.

'Don't you look lovely. Marriage agrees with you,' Cersei smiled.

'Can we bring you anything to eat or drink?' You offered trying to be kind to your now mother in law. 'I wish we had some wine for you. It's a bit early in the day for us,' you shot at her.

'No, no, I can't stay,' you saw her smile drop. 'I just wanted to let you know if there's ever anything I can do for you...'

'You are very sweet,' you cut her off. 

Cersei began to walk off before you stopped her, 'Oh forgive me. I haven't been at court for long. I get so confused. What's the proper way to address you now? Queen Mother or Dowager Queen.' 

You could see the anger you had striked in Cersei's eyes before she composed herself to respond, 'There's no need for such formalities.'

You turned back to the women of the court and they all started giggling when you sat back down. 

You all continued your conversation until you saw your handmaid approaching urgently you with a letter. She stood further away from the table signalling for you to go to her.

You apologised to the table to go speak privately to your handmaid.

'A letter has just arrived for you from Dorne. I thought you might want to read it before anyone else found it.'

'Thank you,' you said sincerely and walked to your bed chambers to open the letter. 

My Dearest Y/n Martell,

It is of most importance that only you read this letter and act discreetly upon it. 

After your fathers murder, your Uncle has done nothing to avenge his death. He spends all day looking over the Water Gardens with no intent on doing anything about Oberyn's death. The whole country wants to go to war yet he sits and does nothing.

Your sisters, the Sand Snakes, are with me, and have the love of their people. They will avenge your father while King Doran sits in his chair doing nothing.

Oberyn is dead while this Lannister girl skips about the Water Gardens, eating our food, breathing our air. I plan on sending her to Cersei one finger at a time even if Doran forbids it. 

Myrcella's necklace will be sent to Cersei as a threat soon after this letter which doesn't leave you much time to leave. Soon Cersei will be looking to kill you, you must flee North as she will find you if you come back to Dorne.  

Ellaria Sand.