The Pain

I sat at the kitchen counter while Nick was with his father.
It was our third day here and he has spent most of his time with him, which is exactly what I was hoping he would do.
The fact that any day he could be taken from him forever makes me sick.

I suddenly hear a guitar playing and walk towards the music.
I peak through the door and see Nick sitting on the edge of the bed playing and singing for his Dad.
He looked so happy and proud of his son, pure joy in his eyes as he played.
I lock eyes with his Dad and move away from the door.

"Come in.." I hear a quiet voice say,
I slowly open the door and walk in.
Nick smiles at me and holds his hand out for me to come closer.
"You must be Y/n, Nick won't shut up about you..." he says, coughing a little between each word.

"Yes that's me, it's so nice to meet you" he takes my hand in his and I shiver at how cold his skin is.

"Thank you.. for making my son so happy...please just promise me something."
I hold my breath for a second, trying to hold back tears.
"Promise you will love him through everything... you're good for my boy, you be there for each other... don't let the world.." he coughs more and tries to catch his breath, not able to finish his sentence.

I squeeze his hand letting a couple tears fall
"I promise.." I say, and I mean it more than anything.

____________

Geoffrey passed away in his sleep that night.
Lori went to check on him and he was gone...

Nicholas found her this morning sleeping next to him.
When they took him away she wouldn't let go, wanting to be with him just one more day...
It was heart breaking to watch her beg them not to take him.
Nicholas had to hold her so she wouldn't run after them.

He tucked her into bed once she calmed down and she almost immediately fell asleep, so exhausted from not sleeping the past few nights.

I follow Nick to his room and watch as he sits on his bed, his eyes locked on the floor.
He lays his head in my lap and I brush my hands through his hair.
I notice his hands start to tremble and hold him closer.

"It's not fucking fair." He says, sitting up.
He starts to pace around his room and I don't know if I should calm him down or not.

"It's oka..."

"Don't tell me it's okay" he says interrupting me.
"My Dads dead! They just rolled his fucking body out of here... don't tell me it's okay."
He's angry and I understand why completely.

He takes a book off his shelf and throws it at the wall, causing me to jump a little.
I wasn't scared of him, but I was scared he might hurt himself if he gets too upset.

"Nick, just come sit with me.."

"I don't want to sit... I need some air."
He rushes out of his room and I try to follow behind him.
I get to the front door but he's already gone.

I start to panic a little realizing he left his phone, and I don't know my way around or where he could have possibly gone.
I grab my jacket and leave anyway, he couldn't have gotten too far.

About an hour of walking and I haven't seen any sign of him.
I knew he would be okay, this was where he grew up... if anything he probably didn't want to be found.