HISOKA x VS x KASTRO

Hisoka ~

Seeing Kira soundly asleep, her heart rate steady on the monitor, my anxiety finally subsided. Only a few hours ago, I was holding her broken body in my arms, afraid to let go. 

I had rushed her to the hospital, upon realising the extent of her injuries. I didn't want to hand her over to the doctors but I had no choice. A stab wound, two bullet holes, a broken arm, snapped cleanly, electricity burns and, not to mention, severe internal bleeding. It was well beyond what I could treat. 

The two fuckers had avoided killing her while inflicting as much pain and damage as possible. The thought made me murderous. My only satisfaction was that I had managed to kill one of them. Regrettably, the other got away. 

No doubt he had already reported back to the Mafia. On the bright side, they wouldn't dare to send someone after Kira anytime soon. As long as I was around, I would make sure no one dared to touch her. 

Now I had even more reason not to leave her side. I glanced down at her sleeping form and gently brushed a strand of hair away from her peaceful face. To think that I had almost lost her tonight...

Suddenly, I felt an intimidating presence enter the room. I recognised the aura immediately and knew it belonged to the last person I wanted to see right now. 

It wasn't pure coincidence that the Mafia were able to find Kira and ambush her. Only two people had access to her location, one of the being me, and the other was the man who helped me install the tracker. No doubt, the Mafia had received the intel from the same man. 

I wanted to kill him on the spot, but he wasn't particularly easy to kill. Instead, I wanted to see how he would react to the accusation. "You sold her out to the Mafia."

"Business is business," Illumi replied indifferently, confirming my suspicions. "I was under no obligation to withhold information from clients."

I resisted the urge to take him outside and beat the shit out of him. "Have I ever told you how much I despise sharing my toys?" I asked through gritted teeth, turning to face him.

"I have no interest in your toy," he said calmly, referring to Kira. "However, I don't think you should get too attached to her."

"Attached?" I wasn't. Who said I was?

"As you said, she is merely a toy. For you to abandon a mission for such a toy... I would say you seem awfully attached." His words were filled with utter distaste.

But it wasn't his tone that caught my attention. My eyes widened at the his casual mention of my mission, a task that was supposedly confidential. I didn't remember telling Illumi.

"What mission?" I asked in pretence, in case of the unlikely circumstance that he was referring to something else. 

He looked at me with dead eyes. "Don't play dumb with me. If I hadn't known better, I might actually think you were stupid."

He had known about it but not through me. That only left one possibility and it made more sense than I would've liked. It not only explained what Illumi was doing in the Rezeda Empire, but also why Chrollo had assigned me the assassination task. 

"We were given the same mission," I said quietly. At this point, it was more of a statement rather than a question. And we were employed by the same person. 

"Not quite," Illumi shook his head. "My job was to clean up after you, should you fail."

"And would you look at that? I just so happened to fail."