ZEVIL x ISLAND

Kira ~

Phase three of the exam was finally over. The examiners led us onto a ferry, bound for the next phase. I sat next to Hisoka, as the boat rocked back and forth gently. I couldn't remember exactly what had happened last night. But I was sure it was something rather shocking. And Hisoka knew, but wouldn't tell me. The moment I brought it up, he smiled and changed the topic, pretending that nothing had happened. But something must've. Or he wouldn't be acting this way. He seemed a bit different. I noticed he was more aware around me, more observant. On top of that, he kept staring into space, as if trying to figure out something. I didn't know he was capable of deep thinking, but what a pleasant surprise.

Still, it bothered me. Last night, I thought I saw... No, it couldn't have been. He's gone. Long gone. As much as I hated it, a part of me still clung painfully onto the single strand of foolish hope.

"Hisoka?" I had to find out.

"What is it, Sweetheart?" He seemed to drift back to reality. I could see it in his eyes, that I've interrupted a deep thought.

"What happened last night?" I asked earnestly. "Please, I really have to know."

He sighed and gave in. "Fine. Last night in the tower, I think you had a nightmare, which left you a little startled. It was probably a just side effect of the Felen venom. I guess it was your reaction that shocked me a little. That's all."

I couldn't suppress the disappointment that came over me. I remembered the nightmare too vividly. It was the same one that had haunted me for years. However, this time was different. I vaguely recalled waking up, and seeing Kyros. He held me as I cried, telling me everything was alright. But I guess it was just a dream.

"You okay?" Hisoka inquired, turning to look at me.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I quickly replied. "Thanks."

"Anytime." He winked. "By the way, who's your target?"

"Number 34. That guy there." I pointed to a man with spiky green hair, and some kind sword strapped to his belt. "What about you?"

"Not telling you." He teased mischievously, sticking out his tongue. Is he making fun of me?

"Hey, that's not fair!" I whined in protest. "I told you mine, you stupid clown!"

"I prefer magician, if you don't mind." He corrected, with an air of self importance. "And I prefer to think of myself as above average, in terms of intelligence. Besides, I didn't even say I'd tell you."

Damn, I got played. No, he's not getting away with this.

Lunging forwards, I grabbed him by the collar with one hand, and pulled him violently towards me. "Now listen here, you cocky bastard, either you tell me now willingly, or I will force it out of you."

"What do you mean by 'force'?" He smirked, raising an eyebrow. "If you want to search me, feel free to do so. All yours, Sweetheart."

I choked. "I'm sorry, what?!" The audacity of this guy. "Get over yourself already!" I shoved him back, away from me. That only seemed to make him laugh.

"But you still need to tell me." I prodded, this time drawing a knife. "Who's your target?"

"Woah, chill out there. Put the knife away."

"Tell me first!" I raised the weapon.

"Alright, alright, I'll tell you." He held up his hands in surrender. "It's number 384. But I don't know who it is, they've all hidden their tags by now. You know, you should really consider a career change. Maybe an interrogator, if I might suggest."