UNFATEFUL x ENCOUNTER

Kira ~

After around thirty minutes, Phase One of the Hunter Exam began. The task seemed relatively simple, but I told myself I had to be wary. There was no telling what lay ahead, or what the other candidates were up to.

I saw the examiner speed up, and I increased my pace. I had to conserve my energy, but I wasn't going to let myself fall behind. Around me, there were applicants starting to tire. Some have already dropped out.

Slightly ahead of me, right on the heels of the examiner, was a strange looking candidate. His weird purple hair stuck directly out of his head, and his movements were awkward, almost puppet-like. Now that I thought of it, he was also dressed like a puppet. But the most intriguing thing about him was the various sized pins stuck into his face, head and upper body, rattling as he ran.

As if on cue, he turned, staring directly at me. Immediately I began to feel increasingly uncomfortable. His face then twisted into an unnatural smile, before he averted his gaze forward and continued running. I shuddered.

He and the clown are definitely buddies. The dynamic duo of disturbing.

Finally, we reached the end of the tunnel. I slowed to a halt, using the brief break to revitalise my stamina. There had to more, surely the first phase couldn't be that easy.

Soon my suspicions were confirmed, as the examiner explained the next task. It was the same as before, which was to follow him, but this time through the marshes. To be honest, my main concern wasn't the dangerous beasts that roamed the marshes, or even losing the examiner. Now that we were in the cover of the mist, I was more worried about what tricks the other candidates would pull.

Or more precisely, what Hisoka is up to.

Hisoka ~

The first phase was awfully boring. After severing the arms of a candidate, I was itching for more action. But in the plain sight of the tunnels, it wasn't possible for me to have any fun. Even more so, after the incident earlier, it seemed everyone was avoiding me.

That's sad. No one wants to play with me.

As we emerged from the tunnel, I saw my chance. Perfect. The marshes would mislead many of the applicants, and the mist would provide cover. Essentially, I could do whatever I wanted, to whoever I wanted.

After the examiner explained the dangers of the marshes, the group proceeded into the mist. Within a couple of minutes, the crowd began to disperse. The main pack kept up with the examiner, so it would've been impractical to attack them. The stragglers who were already out of stamina wouldn't put up much of a fight.

Before I could even decide who to prey on, the prey seemed to have found me. A group of armed men had me surrounded, no doubt intending to take me out.

How bravely foolish, for prey to challenge predator.

"When I saw you last year, I knew you were not Hunter material." Their leader confronted me.

"We'll spare you if you swear not to take the Hunter Exam again." Another added.

Was that a threat? Oh, you are in no position to make threats.

I could feel my bloodlust building. I smiled at the thought. These men were hardly worthy, but it'll have to do.

"Sure."

They seemed taken back by my response.

"I'm passing the exam this year, so I won't need to retake it."

"Passing? Idiot! Look at this fog. It's impossible to determine which direction the main pack went! Meaning we've all failed the exam!"

A low chuckle escaped my lips. "So that's why. Having already failed, you wish to play examiner. Hunters require prey. Why don't I play examiner... And judge whether you are Hunter material?"