8

KENZIE
A COUPLE WEEKS LATER

"No," Sam shakes her head. She, Alana and I are having a girls night in. Becky and Danni moved out last week so the house has been pretty quiet.

The girls moving into their rooms aren't coming until closer til school starts so we've just been chillin the three of us.

"Oh c'mon! What do you have to loose?" I raise a brow at her holding the full shot glass out to her.

"I have to work in the morning!" Sam protests.

"What time?" Alana asks with a raised brow.

Sam just looks at us then quietly says, "Eleven."

"Sam!" I shake my head, "One shot isn't gonna make you late!"

My phone starts to vibrate in my pocket. I pull it out, the screen is black but Logan's name sits on top.

"I'll be right back," I say walking away.

Alana and Sam share a confused look at I rush upstairs to my room.

"Hey," I hold the phone to my ear as I make it to the top of the stairs.

"Hey, what are you doing tomorrow?" He asks.

"Uhm not sure, why?" I say as I slip into my room, shutting the door.

"Wanna grab lunch? You can say no, it'll just bruise my ego a bit," he teases.

"Okay then no," I smirk to myself.

Since that night at Jason's party back home, when we spent hours talking in the back of my sister's boyfriend's truck we've kept in touch. Every once in a while I remember what happened between us, and it pisses me off, but I also think about his explanation on the plane. I'm choosing to believe him for now because it's nice to have someone familiar out here to talk to.

"Ouch!"

I laugh.

"Is your life mission to just break me down?"

"Duh! It's called karma," I tease, "Okay but for real I would like I hear more about the draft."

When we were back home he told me how the NHL Draft runs but he hadn't gone off and actually gotten drafted yet.  I wanna know how the day went.

"Did you not see my Instagram?" He questions.

"Okay uhm first was the most douchey thing you have ever said, and two I haven't followed you on Instagram in years! Your face annoys me."

"Your face annoys me," he counters.

"My face is beautiful, so that's a lie," I chuckle.

"You're right," he agrees, sounding sincere.

"Kenz!" Sam and Alana scream.

Then Alana shouts, "Bring down Monopoly!"

A little laugh leaves my lips as I shake my head at the girl's yelling.

"I have to go, text me about tomorrow and maybe I'll show up," I smile to myself as I slowly open my bedroom door.

-

LOGAN
THE NEXT DAY

I'm sitting on the patio of some restaurant Trevor suggested that's a good middle point between USC and UCLA waiting for Kenzie, who I'm pretty sure is gonna stand me up. She's already ten minutes late but she was never on time in high school either.

I look up the moment she turns the corner her phone to her ear as she walks towards me. She gives me a small smile when she sees me, and mouths "One sec."