13

KENZIE

Two hours later I finally walk out to the living room. After I got off the phone with Macey, which turned into us just catching up after our initial conversation. I've finally showered and thrown on sweatpants and a giant hoodie that just feels like home.

"Oh, honey," Alana hums as I slump onto the couch next to her.

"It's been a night," I sigh. I won't lie, I cried in the shower and I know my face is still red and stained with tears.

"We got pizza," Sam smiles leaning forward to grab the box on the other side of me.

"Thank you," I weakly smile as she opens the box and I pick out a piece. It's just pepperoni and looks like it's been sitting out for a while but I don't care. I still feel a bit tipsy and I just wanna eat something and go to sleep.

"You wanna talk about it?" Sam asks, setting the pizza box back on our coffee table.

"I don't know," I say taking a bit of the slice of pizza.

"Want a hug?" Alana asks. I turn to look at her and just nod as I chew. Before I know it Alana and Sam throw their arms around me. They each rest their heads on my shoulders. And then only seconds later I'm crying while still eating my pizza.

"Oh honey!" Alana shoots up pulling the sleeve of her hoodie around her thumb as she catches my tears.

"Aw, Kenz, are you sure you don't want to talk about it?" Sam asks again as she slowly rubs my back.

"It's just all so messy and I just don't feel like retelling it all," I tell them as I stare at my half eaten piece of pizza. "I want to tell you guys," I look at them both, "It's just a lot right now."

"Maybe sleeping will help you process everything," Sam says.

I groan dramatically dropping my head back against the couch, "Can I just sleep for the rest of my life?"

-

KENZIE
TWO WEEKS LATER

"Okay girls!" Coach B claps instantly getting all of our attention. I'm standing between Sam and Sophie, one of the other juniors on the team.

It's our first practice of the season. School starts in two weeks but we have to be ready for welcome weekend next week. We're performing our winning routine from last years competition season so none of the freshman are here but they've had their own training and technique camps all week.

"I'm gonna have our new captains lead stretches while I take a quick phone call," Coach B explains and then with a smirk she adds, "The calls for new halftime shirts so get excited!"

"Can we see?" Ivy asks. She's one of the teams seniors and one of my new upstairs roommates. She took over Becky's big bedroom with the connected bathroom.

"If this phone call goes well, yes," Coach B smiles pulling out her phone. "Big Red! EJ! You're up!"

And then coach is gone as Summer and Ellie walk up in front of us. Ellie goes to play music at the speaker while Summer shouts, "Spread out and follow along!"

I know it's only my second season with this team but I couldn't imagine anyone else besides them being our captains after Danni and Becky. None of the other seniors show the same kind of leadership.

I ask Ivy if she wanted to be captain and she said, "Nah, I don't have the patience." Which made me laugh.

-