Promise

"Keep your eyes closed!" I instructed smiling as my hands shielded his eyes from any peeking.
We were sitting on our hill, a place that always brought me back to the start of our relationship. His confession, our first kiss, the endless afternoons of lullabies in his arms.
For the last few days i had thought of a way to always keep a part of him with me, and my answer was in a small, velvet box.

I took his hand and helped him stand up, then raising it and making him twirl around himself a few times.
"What is it, what is it!" He giggled, my other hand still covering his sight.
I stopped him in front of me, slowly revealing his face so i could observe his features.
Long lashes caressed his red cheeks, always plumped up in smiles that were able to take my breath away in an instant.
I quickly placed a soft kiss on his forehead, kneeling down right after.
"Sap, what is-" He started, slowly opening his eyes with a gasp, his slim hands reaching for his quivering lips. "Oh my god!"

I opened the blue packet, revealing two golden rings.
One of them had a dainty diamond set at the center, adorned by small floral incisions.
I took it out, then silently asked for his hand, which he shakily rested on mine.
I carefully slipped the jewel on his finger, kissing it before fixing my sight on his figure.
"These two belonged to the most important people in my life." I paused as a spark of melancholy passed my mind. "Now i'm sharing them with the only person that I could ever love more."

"One day I'll be able to call you mine, Karl. As long as you'll have this I'll keep my promise."
His lucid eyes swelled with tears impatient to flow out.
"Will you let me love you no matter what, no matter when?"
I finished with a whisper as he nodded and finally allowed dense tears to run down his face.
I put the other ring on my finger and quickly stood up, cupping his cheeks and starting to pepper kisses on his forehead, nose, temples, all around the mouth.
Then i allowed myself his salty lips, lingering as i drenched my soul with his.

"I promised myself not to say this." I sighed softly.
"I-" I started.
"I love you." He interrupted as if the words urged to escape his lips.
I stayed quiet a few seconds, then burst in laughter.
"I love you too, oh my god!" I laughed kissing him a few times. "I- love- you- so- much-" I said between kisses as he pulled me even closer to him, his back meeting the trunk of the large tree we stood under.
-

He stayed cuddled up on my chest, mindlessly playing with my fingers and stopping as he reached my fourth.
"Sap?"
"Mh?"
"Your rings belong to your parents, right?"
I felt my body freeze for a split second, but i was quick to relax again.
"Yeah, they did." i said, putting my lips in a thin line.
He paused a moment.
"How were they?" He asked with a careful tone, as if he didn't wanna rip an old wound.
I got quiet, trying to remember the few, distant memories of when they were still together. And happy.

"In love. I've never seen someone so in love before.
They had their fights, sure, but they always found comfort in each other right after; It's like they could never stay mad for too long. And my father, for how old fashioned he could be, never hurt anyone. It's like my ma's presence melted and reshaped him." My voice cracked at the end, and i had to take a few seconds to keep going.

"When she died he just let go. His anger remained after fights, and he got aggressive,  demanding unreasonable requests and getting mad if we didn't do them. He started beating us up at any wrong word or look; then he just left.
He couldn't even wear the ring anymore because it reminded him of her too much.
I guess when you lose someone like that you don't have a balance anymore."

He squeezed my hand and brought it to his cheek, and as i cupped it I felt delicate kisses on my palm, hiding then into it like a kid.

"we need a fake name." He blurted out after a few minutes of silence.
"What?" I chuckled confused.
He turned around, fixing himelf so he could look at me.
"For the letters! We need a name so they think we're just writing to our girlfriends."
"Carla"
"Absolutely not."
"I don't see the problem"
"The problem is, Sap, that if you're gonna give me a code name it's gonna be better than that. Use your creativity."
"Oh my god, you're so complicated!" I cried as he lightly slapped on my shoulder.