Surprise

"I see, so your name is Hitori-chan! I'm Nijika Ijichi, a second year at Shimokitazawa High. I work as the drummer for the Kessoku Band. I know the name is a bit silly, but it will have to do for now. There's one other girl in our band, she's also a bit of a loner, I think you'll get along with her!"

Hitori couldn't think. She tried to focus her brain on the act of thinking, but she couldn't think. This was the first time in months that someone other than her family had acknowledged her existence. Talking to a complete stranger was a task in itself, but this girl wanted her to perform on stage, at a clubhouse in front of a live audience.

"There's no way! No! No way! I can't."

"What happened, Hitori-chan?"

"Dorito-senpai, I'm sorry, but the truth is, I've never played in front of a live audience. I usually play in my closet, sometimes Jimihen watches me but otherwise it's just me. I can't play with you."

Nijika thought about Hitori. Her excitement over getting a potential member had made her forget about Hitori's guitar skills. There was no point in recruiting a member if she was terrible at playing.

"Why don't you play a bit when we reach the clubhouse? Don't worry, my sister is the manager over there so she won't complain, even if you suck."

"Suck?"

"Uh-I mean, I-I'm sure you are a great guitarist, you just need to get used to the club environment. It will help you overcome your nervousness. Plus we will see how compatible we are as a band."

Nijika didn't have much choice. The band needed a guitarist, and Hitori was the only option she had.

"I'll try my best but the thing is, I actually don't have my guitar with me right now!"

"Then what are you carrying around that case for?"

"It's just, I uh carried something else in it today."

"Huh, I never thought a guitar case could have multiple uses. What did you carry?"

"A gun."

"..."

"..."

"W-WHAT?!"