Inner lava

A/N: I've decided to represent the Mika people the same way Tieflings look. Baldur Gates 3 has an impressive amount of 3D models you can check out to have an idea of how they look, and I think it's a good treat to know how they look because they are an important part of the story and Roku's eventual power (which isn't going to actually show itself up for some time to come)

It hurt. Badly. Every step, every intake of breath, it burnt like fire, but at the same time, the pleasure rushed through his nerves like melted wax through a masochist's skin.

Roku walked around the hallways early in the morning, making his way to the Commander's office, with a tired look on his face and a right hand rubbing his left forearm as anxiety kept dwelling inside him.

He'd never tell anyone, not unless it was dire and actually impossible to live with, but Roku hurt a lot. After the shock diminished and a night went through, the feeling of warmth he had described his commander before, increased. The burnt scar on his chest hadn't really ever healed or attempted to, but it wasn't that place that hurt. More like all over. He felt hot, too hot. As if walking under a summer sun. Directly under it. His feet hurt, his hand hurt, his skin hurt. Not enough to scream, not worse than....other things, but it was a constant feeling. As if he was constantly very close to a campfire. Not about to burn or melt, but his skin ached on that same concept. Not too close to scream, but not too far for it to be comfortable.

Showering did not help. Drinking cold water still felt like drinking cold water; it was refreshing and it made his throat felt cold. But at the same time, he was always burning. He wasn't sweating, wasn't hyperventilating and he definitely wasn't getting any heatstroke. It was more...internal. Mental.

He blamed the eyes inside of him...those monsters, or whatever they were. They were the cause, he was sure. Them and that sword-, or rather, the sword itself. He just knew, he could feel it inside him. Tugging at his nerves, invading his brain. He didn't want to do nothing with them, but it was clear he'd need to reach out and figure it out. Were they enemies or allies? Friend or foe? Helpful or...not helpful at all.

"You okay, kid?" A voice he had heard before kicked him out of his train of thought and he turned around to find Dian, the head chef, staring at his direction as she rested her body on the kitchen's door frame. He uniform was squeaky clean and shiny and her face was filled with energy. Clearly a morning person, unlike Roku Denki.

"Oh...I'm alright, Miss Dian" The janitor lord through his teeth and the woman merely clicked her tongue twice in disapproval.

"Your steps are all uneven, and you've been scratching your arm so much it's hurting yourself...and my ears" The dark haired guy frowned, but sure enough, he lifted his long sleeve to find his arm slightly red and bloody from scratches alone. Had he lost himself that much?, "Get over here, I know what ya' missing" The blind woman waved him inside and Roku complied. He had some time to reunite with Ren. He just hoped the commander didn't catch him utterly damaging his arm just like the chef did.

Roku entered the kitchen to find it as busy as ever, most of the staff waking with heavy stuff in their hands and/or preparing different ingredients and mixes.

"Sorry to bother..." He muttered lowly, but to his surprise most girls either smiled his way or waved. Roku didn't notice, but he had managed to gain a reputation with the kitchen and health staff after helping out and the outstanding job he did at cleaning.

Her little daughter was nowhere to be found.

"Here" Dian opened up an oven and a smell of steak invaded Roku's nostrils like a burglar crashing into an unknown house. Steak, beans, rice. Paprika, salts and spices could be found into the aroma and it made the janitor gravitate towards the plate.