Chapter 7 - Holding Your Hand

Y/N fell back asleep shortly after, utterly exhausted, which was entirely understandable. Despite his broken and aching body, his mind continued working at full pace, tirelessly exploring every potential scenario in which he could protect Tara. How could he regain his strength quickly? He knew he had to protect her better next time; he had lost too easily this time. Memories of Tara flooded his mind once more, with clearer details emerging this time. However, in each memory, he sensed a looming presence, as though they were being watched. Be it a fancy restaurant date, a leisurely walk in the park, or other cherished moments, he couldn't shake the feeling. As he scrutinized each memory, searching for answers, only more questions arose.

Hours later, he awoke to find Sam sitting on Tara's bed, across from him.

"We're gonna get the fuck out of Woodsboro," Sam declared to Tara. Y/N decided it would be wiser to remain silent than to interrupt.

"No... I can't. Y/N, he's thrown himself at the killer twice for me. I can't just leave him," Tara replied, tears glistening in her eyes. Y/N surmised it was from the conversation he hadn't heard.

"We'll take him with us. Does he have any parents we can contact?" Sam asked Tara. Tara shook her head.

"I never knew his dad, and his mom is out of town," she responded. Y/N coughed at this point, prompting Sam to turn towards him.

"Even if my mom did say no, I'm coming," Y/N declared, earning a smile from the sisters.

"I wouldn't have expected anything different," Sam quipped. "Can you walk?"

"I haven't tried," Y/N slowly sat up, Weakly pushing himself off the bed. He stood for a moment before cautiously attempting to walk. "All good."

"You are a wizard or something, I swear," Tara laughed. Y/N walked over to the side of her bed before planting a tender kiss on her forehead.

"Thanks, I guess that makes you my magic," Y/N replied before scrunching his face, asking, "Too soppy?"

"Yep," Tara chuckled.

"Okay, lovebirds, we'd best get going," Sam announced. After assisting Tara into her wheelchair, Y/N wheeled her out, and Richie waited outside the room for them.

"Hey," Richie greeted as they walked out, "Is he coming with us?"

"Yes, is that a problem?" Tara responded, her tone growing slightly sharper.

"It's just isn't he still a suspect?" Richie asked.

"Suspect?! What the fuck, man? I've been attacked twice," Y/N retorted, his voice tinged with frustration. Y/N also appeared to grow angrier.

"Well, you were hardly attacked. They handcuffed you to a railing," Richie turned to the door. "It doesn't matter anyway. I just want to get out of here."

They proceeded into the foyer, where they saw that it was crowded. Y/N's eyes met two women seated across the room. One turned and began walking toward them, eventually reaching them just as they reached the exit.

"Samantha?" The woman asked.

"It's Sam," Sam corrected.

"I'm..." The woman was cut off.

"I know who you are," Sam told her.

"I hope you're okay. You too," she said to Y/N and Tara.

"Listen, I'm sorry..." Sam started.

"You're Billy's daughter," the woman interrupted.

"We'll bring the car around," Richie told her. Y/N wheeled Tara out slowly as Richie walked ahead of them.

"Man, that was scary. I thought that was it, man. After I passed out, I heard you got shot. How was that?" Richie asked Y/N.

"Terrifying, not really the gunshot. Seeing them stand over Tara like that was... They were full-on psycho. It's like it wanted me to watch," Y/N looked down at the silver car in front of him. For the first time in a week, he saw his appearance. His hair was uneven, and his face was battered and bruised.

"Oh god... I couldn't imagine," Richie responded. Y/N got Tara into the car first, placing her in the seat behind the passenger before getting into the opposite side. Once they sat next to each other, they remained silent for a moment.

"You know, I was ready to die last night. When I stepped out of that cupboard, I made a mental note that as long as you were safe, I didn't care what happened," Y/N confessed. He held out his hand for her. She smiled before taking it, saying, " But now... I've decided I'd rather go like this, holding your hand."

They drove around until they spotted Sam arguing with the women from earlier and another girl. Richie lowered his window and beeped his horn.

"All right! Let's get the fuck out of town, huh?" He shouted out of the window. Y/N overheard the conversation outside.

"Sorry. That's my boyfriend, Richie," Sam told the women.

"Nice to meet... We met. Sam, please get in the car so we never have to see these people again," Richie requested, and Sam turned to get into the car.

"Sam..." One of the women tried to get her attention.

"No. We're leaving. That's the only way I can protect Tara," Sam told them before getting in.

"Okay, good luck," the woman replied.

"You too," Sam responded. With that, the four of them sped off out of the hospital car park. The drive was mostly silent until they reached a main road. Tara began frantically searching her bag.

"You okay?" Y/N asked, but he was met with a panicked face.

"My inhaler, I usually keep an extra one," she replied. Sam quickly turned.

"Should we go back?" Sam asked.

"I vote for not going back to the murder hospital," Richie told the group.

"You want to stop at a pharmacy?" Samantha suggested.

"I'd need a prescription. I have spares at Amber's and Y/N's house," Tara responded. Y/N shook his head.

"My house is too far out now," he looked at Tara, who was now panicking a lot, "We'll go to Amber's. What's the address?"

"123 no fucking way lane," Richie spat out.

"Mate, I honestly don't give a shit if you say no. We are going," Y/N responded, his voice laced with venom.

"Richie, please," Tara pleaded. Richie looked to Sam.

"Okay, Yeah, What's the address?"