Chapter 4

Callen walked into NCIS looking at the piece of paper in his hand.

"I'm looking for Director Tom Morrow," he said, his skepticism at the name all too apparent.

"And you are?" The security guard asked.

"CALLEN!" Gibbs' voice cut through the hubbub at the NCIS Navy Yard in Washington D.C.

Callen turned around as the guard's hand went for his weapon just in case but then he relaxed as Gibbs clasped a shoulder on the young man's back and pulled him into a quick hug.

"Gibbs." Callen's smile was genuine as he looked at his friend, "How you doing?" He asked.

"Good good. What you doing here?" he asked, handing a bag to a younger man that came up behind him. "Take those to Ducky, Steve."

"Stan..." The younger man grumbled as he took the bag, "Yes Boss," he said louder and walked through the metal detector.

Callen raised his eyebrow, suppressing a smirk at the younger man as he left.

"Jethro?" He growled good naturedly.

"What?" Gibbs replied the voice of all innocence, "Gotta keep him on his toes," he laughed as he stepped around the metal detector flashing his badge.

Callen stepped through and stopped as the detector went off. The security guard drew his weapon and pointed it at Callen.

"You'd better be prepared to use that," Callen growled.

"G!" Gibbs snapped, "You're carrying?"

Callen nodded, "Yeah."

Gibbs grabbed a tray and held it out for the younger man, "Spill," he ordered.

Callen took his gun from the small of his back, his back up piece from the holster at his ankle, three knives, a small aerosol can and a matchbook from his back pocket. Gibbs laughed as he handed them to the guard.

"I feel naked," Callen complained as he showed the guard his letter and signed the visitors book. "Can I just take one gun?" he asked hopefully.

The guard shook his head, "I'm sorry sir, until you are cleared we should hold you."

Gibbs glared at the man who started to shake, "He has an appointment with Tom, Harry. Let him in."

"Fine Special Agent Gibbs, if you are going to vouch for him that's fine, but the....arsenal... stays here," Harry replied, staying firm.

"OK... Come on G." Gibbs steered him to the elevator and waited until the doors closed. He then pulled a knife out of his belt and handed it to the younger man.