𝙛𝙞𝙫𝙚

flashback, five years ago, freshman year of high school

the girl had moved to the area a month ago, marking the beginning of a new chapter in their lives: a new house, a new school, the quest for new friends, and the promise of a fresh start.

classes had commenced that very week, yet despite her outgoing nature, making friends quickly proved to be a challenge. she hadn't even settled on a club to join, and her mother's relentless work schedule had left the teenager with little time to explore the city or dine out together.

solitude seemed to engulf her.

the neighborhood exuded tranquility; not many cars passed through its quiet streets. despite their limited financial means, her mother always managed to maintain the facade of a comfortable life. she had perfected this art over the years.

"i don't want to repeat myself!" a woman's voice pierced the air, just a few steps ahead of them. "don't ignore him; he's your son!"

she halted, trying to pinpoint the source of the argument. it seemed to emanate from a house not far from theirs.

"i have to go; I'll be late for the meeting." a man emerged from the house, clutching a briefcase.

"if you leave, i'll take the kids with me!" the woman's voice was laced with desperation, and a child was tugging at her arm, coaxing her to return inside.

"fine, do whatever you want; i don't care anymore!" the man stormed past the standing girl, brushing her shoulder in his haste. he didn't spare a glance and continued on his way, leaving the woman and child by the doorstep.

she decided to continue walking toward home, feeling like an intruder to their personal drama. as she passed the family's home, she couldn't help but glimpse a dark-haired boy standing there, his gaze fixed on the ground, lost in his thoughts, while his mother tried to console him.

for some inexplicable reason, she found herself lingering, silently watching him.

she couldn't tear their gaze away. it was as if she was drawn to the scene, compelled to bear witness to the boy's silent struggle. his mother's soothing words and tender gestures only seemed to intensify the turmoil within him.

finally, the boy's gaze shifted, meeting hers for an instant. their eyes locked briefly, and in that fleeting connection, she sensed a profound sadness, a shared understanding that transcended words.

before the girl could react or offer a comforting smile, the boy's mother led him inside, closing the door behind them, leaving her on the quiet street, feeling strangely connected to the boy and his unspoken pain.

.・。.・゜.・゜・。.

present time

"y/n, sweetheart, wake up," i felt a hand gently caressing my arm. "your friend has come to see you."

i tried to open my eyes, but my head started to ache as it processed the light streaming in through the window.

"mom, whoever it is, tell them i'm sick." exhaustion was overwhelming me; juggling university and weekends with friends didn't leave much room for sleep. i had to make the most of not having any plans today.

"get your ass up; we have an exam on thursday." itami's voice made me open my eyes. "and if we fail, we'll have to repeat the subject next semester."

i heard my mother's soft laughter growing fainter as she closed the door. i reached for my phone on the bedside table to check the time. it was half past nine.